Family members charged in teen's death won't be released for funeral

Posted at 5:26 PM, Feb 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-21 18:37:09-05

COVINGTON, Ky. -- The three family members accused of causing the death of a disabled Ludlow teenager won't be able to attend his funeral.

Joseph Bishop, 18, died Feb. 11 at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center after suffering from bedsores on his arms, legs and back "so large that muscles and bone were exposed," according to court records. Joseph had been diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and had been bedridden for months.

MORE: Woman wishes she had known neighbors' dark secret, could have saved teen with muscular dystrophy

The Ludlow police officer who initially responded to the call from the hospital, Eric Love, testified about possible abuse and neglect in court Tuesday, describing the horrible state he found Joseph in just prior to his death.

Love said the coroner found Joseph's bedsores were several inches in diameter and about two inches deep. Officers investigating the case found at least two bottles of medication for Joseph, but based on the prescription dates, he had not been given his medication since October 2014, the last time he went to Children's Hospital for treatment.

Joseph's mother, Jamie Bishop, and grandparents, Raymond Martin and Sharon Martin, told investigators they had their own plans for treating Joseph's sores, including bandages and Neosporin.

All three are facing charges of second-degree manslaughter in Joseph's death.

Once police investigated further, officers came to believe the family may have tried to clean up the space where Joseph had been bedridden. Love said they found black garbage bags filled with "towels and bedding material that looked very soiled."

The judge denied a request from the three defendants for a furlough to attend Joseph's funeral, which is scheduled for Thursday.

MORE: Stranger wants to make sure Joseph Bishop gets proper burial

The case will next go to a grand jury.