BELLEVUE, Ky. — Starting Monday, April 6, the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky will temporarily suspend Southbank Shuttle services because of the coronavirus crisis.
There are two main reasons TANK is making this change to its already reduced services.
First, the lightweight trolley vehicle that Southbank Shuttle uses doesn’t have a rear door, so passenger boarding is very close to the driver, said TANK general manager Andew Aiello.
In addition, the route for the Southbank Shuttle is a duplicate of other local routes and with reduced ridership levels overall, having two similar routes isn’t necessary.
"TANK is making every effort to protect the health of our operators while we navigate the next few weeks and months. Our goal is to continue to provide a base level of service for the people that need it most, while protecting the health of TANK employees," said Aiello. "With that balance comes some difficult decisions."
Also starting Monday, TANK will go to a “Sunday Plus” schedule.
Here is a list of the changes TANK will enact starting Monday.
1. The following TANK Local Routes are operating a Sunday schedule every day:
- 1 Dixie Highway
- 3 Ludlow
- 5 City Heights
- 7 Latonia
- 8 Eastern Avenue
- 12 Bellevue/Dayton
- 16 West Newport/NKU
- 25 Southgate/Alexandria
- 33 Thomas More Parkway/Crestview Hills
*Routes #9 Taylor Mill/Independence and #11 Ft. Thomas do not operate Sunday service and will not run during this time.
2. Southbank Shuttle is not running.
3. Some TANK Express Routes will be operating:
- 2X Airporter – Weekday Schedule will operate 7 days a week
- 31X Rolling Hills Express – Regular Weekday Schedule Mon-Fri as published – NO CHANGE
- 39X Petersburg Road/South Hebron Express –Sunday Schedule will operate 7 days a week
- 40X Worldwide Blvd/North Hebron Express-- MODIFIED SCHEDULE will operate 7 days a week
*The 1X, 17X, 18X, 22X, 25X, 28X, 30X, 32X, 35X, 42X do not have Sunday service and will not run until further notice.
TANK is asking all passengers to limit non-essential travel on buses to allow for safe travel for those performing essential services in the community.
More information on routes and route changes is available on TANK’s website.