NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Marion County adult becomes third Indiana death from COVID-19

Marion County adult becomes third Indiana death from COVID-19
Posted at 5:27 PM, Mar 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-20 17:27:21-04

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana State Health Department late Friday afternoon confirmed a third Hoosier has died from COVID-19.

In a news release, state health officials said the victim is an adult resident of Marion County over age 60 who had been hospitalized.

The state health department reported 23 new cases of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus, on Friday bringing to 79 the total number of of Hoosiers diagnosed through the Indiana State Health Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and private laboratories. All but one are adults, the health department said.

So far there have been two deaths in Marion County and one death in Johnson County from the coronavirus, state health officials said.

"Losing a loved one is devastating, and it's troubling to see the toll that COVID-19 is taking on elderly residents here in Indiana and across the country," State Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box said. "I implore Hoosiers to continue to stay home if they're sick and practice social distancing so that we can halt the spread of this virus and protect the most vulnerable among us."

The new cases involve residents of Allen (1), Boone (1), Floyd (1), Grant (1), Hamilton (3), Johnson (1), Lake (2), Marion (6), Shelby (1), St. Joseph (3), Tippecanoe (1), Vanderburgh (1) and Vigo (1) counties.

The number of tested Hoosiers has increased to 554.