DeWine: We've interviewed 128 people in Pike County massacre case

There have been more than 450 tips, 100 items sent to state laboratories and exactly 128 witness interviews since the massacre of eight family members in Pike County last month, authorities said Monday. 

Investigators found bodies in four homes near Peebles, Ohio on April 22. Seven of the victims — six adults and a 16-year-old boy — were fatally shot execution-style in three adjacent homes, while the eighth victim — also an adult — was shot to death in a fourth house in nearby Piketon, deputies said. All of the victims were members of the Rhoden family.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said Monday that agents and deputies worked through the weekend in an effort to solve the case. Authorities have not arrested anyone and have not released any information on a potential suspect.  

Agents said they have sent more than 100 items of evidence to the state's crime laboratory for DNA, ballistics, latent print and trace analysis. DeWine's office said Monday each of the 450 tips authorities have received are being investigated. 

Last week, DeWine declined to confirm or deny rumors in the case involving Mexican drug cartels.

 

“We do not want to give the killers, or killer, any indication of where this case is going and what information we have or do not have,” he said.

During an interview on 700 WLW, DeWine dismissed a report claiming that one of the family members was found littered with dollar bills.

RELATED: 7 mysteries from the Pike County family massacre

“It does not sound correct to me, but I’m not going to get into knocking down every rumor,” DeWine said.

 
Print this article Back to Top