NewsLocal NewsHamilton CountySilverton

Actions

Coroner: 22-year-old victim identified after shooting shuts down northbound I-71 in Silverton

Highway was shut down for multiple hours
71 north shooting drone
Posted
and last updated

CINCINNATI — A 22-year-old man is dead after a shooting on northbound I-71 Thursday afternoon, the Hamilton County Coroner said.

The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office shut down all northbound lanes of I-71 at around 1:45 p.m. Thursday after a report of shots fired on the interstate near the Stewart Road exit.

When emergency crews arrived, the sheriff's office said officials found one man who had been shot by someone in a separate vehicle. The man was taken to UC Medical Center and has since been pronounced dead.

WATCH: We track the latest in the search for a shooter as police release victim's ID

22-year-old victim identified after shooting shuts down interstate

The victim has been identified as 22-year-old Robert Lee Rothwell III.

Three people were inside Rothwell's car at the time of the shooting. The sheriff's office said it does not know how many people were inside the vehicle connected to the shooting suspect. At this time, officials do not have a motive.

I-71 was shut down for multiple hours as officials investigated the shooting and cleared up the scene. All lanes reopened a little before 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

WCPO will update this story with any additional information when it is available.

Good Morning Tri-State Weekend at 8AM