Police: Shooter not among 5 found dead in Indiana

LAUREL, Ind. - Indiana State Police said in a press conference Tuesday evening that the shooting suspect, responsible for the deaths of five people found dead in Laurel, Ind. on Sunday, was not among the deceased.

Police say that at this time the status of the crime has not changed and that a murder investigation is in effect.

Police also released the names of the victims and preliminary autopsy reports. The official cause of death will not be released for each person, until all aspects of the autopsy are complete, according to Indiana State Police.

The victims are Angela Napier, 47, Jacob Napier, 18, Roy Napier, 50, Melissa Napier, 23, and Henry Smith, 43.

There is no person of interest or a suspect at this time, but police are asking anyone with information to call police at 812-689-5000 or 911 immediately.

Police also urge residents in Laurel to be vigilant in keeping themselves safe by locking their homes and vehicles at all times.

Police say that a 4-year-old girl was found walking by herself near the scene of the crime on Sunday. A deputy arrived on the scene and spoke to neighbors in the area.

Officers then began a search of the area where the body of a dead male was found at the 24000 block of Stipps Hill Road. Four other bodies were found at an address across the road.

On Tuesday, 9 News spoke to a woman who was the first to call 911 about the deaths, after she saw the girl wandering on a road just feet away from where the deaths happened.

Mary Jane Kesler was driving with her husband John Sunday afternoon and noticed the girl walking along Stipps Hill Road. Kesler said the child seemed frantic and terrorized. Kesler then called 911.

"She was crying and she had her little thumb in her mouth and she looked terrorized and I said, 'Baby what's the matter?'," Kesler explained. "She came over and she just clung to me because I opened the jeep and got out and she said, 'Somebody has to help me they're all dead. Mamaw, Papaw and mommy is dead.'"

Kesler told 9 News she last heard the little girl was in Child Protective Services. Police say she was not harmed and is safe.

The incident is still under investigation.

Stay with 9 News and WCPO.com for more information on this developing story.

Print this article Back to Top