Local runners return home after Boston attacks

HEBRON, Ky. - Runners from the Tri-State who ran the Boston Marathon made their way home Tuesday night with stories to tell that they never imagined.

9 On Your Side spoke to two runners who walked off the plane at the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport proudly dressed in Boston Marathon apparel.

Airport workers and even strangers came up to welcome them home and give their well wishes.

A family of one local runner told 9 On Your Side reporter Kendall Herold they had never been more happy to see their marathon runner walk the long way from the airport terminal and into their arms.

Local defense attorney Michele Berry-Godsey returned from Boston to teary eyes and big hugs. Her family was overwhelmed to see her knowing she had survived a terror attack.

"It was a long, long night. And, communication was in and out, in and out the whole night. We might get a garbled phone call, and then nothing," said Amy Alexander, a relative of Berry-Godsey.

Berry-Godsey had finished the marathon in a personal best time: 3 hours and 31 minutes. Her excitement was crushed after she heard the first bomb go off from a few blocks away.

"Maybe three seconds before the blasts went off, we were already walking the opposite direction, but all four of us smelled gunpowder. Very distinct, you know you recognize from the Fourth of July that smell, and three seconds passed, we commented to each other, do you smell that gunpowder? We all did. And maybe three seconds passed, and the blast went off," she said.

Berry-Godsey wasn't at the finish line when the bombs went off, but Former Congresswoman Jean Schmidt witnessed the blasts.

"I heard this horrible BOOM, and I saw the smoke go up and I was startled, and I just stood there and I heard the second one and I ran," said Schmidt.

"I don't want to talk about it, but I saw things that are embedded in my mind and I just want the people of Cincinnati to pray for all of those families whose lives are forever changed in this," she added.

Despite what they witnessed, both runners say the Boston Marathon won't be their last.

"I got my best time, and I was thrilled about that and you know there was a good like 40 minutes of jubilation before this happened, so I take that with me. It doesn't crush that," said Berry-Godsey.

Berry-Godsey still has a goal of running a marathon in all 50 states, including Washington, D.C.

Schmidt plans to run the Flying Pig Marathon in three weeks, which will mark her 100th marathon.

For more information on the Boston tragedy and for the latest updates on the investigation visit http://www.wcpo.com/generic/news/national/An-act-of-terrorism-The-Boston-Marathon-bombings.

Print this article Back to Top