I-Team: Oscar Robertson's company under investigation by Labor Dept.

Orchem also faces foreclosure

FAIRFIELD, Ohio - A Fairfield company owned by a former University of Cincinnati and Hall of Fame basketball player is facing foreclosure and is under investigation by the Department of Labor, according to information uncovered by 9 News' I-Team.

Oscar Robertson owns Orchem, a specialty chemical supplier and manufacturer based in Fairfield.

The Complaint for foreclosure of lien for delinquent real estate taxes indicates the property at 4293 Mulhauser Road in Fairfield — where Orchem's corporate headquarters is located – has unpaid taxes, charges and penalties totaling $194,138.48, according to one document dating back to April 9, 2012.

The I-Team has also learned that the U.S. Department of Labor is investigating Orchem after it received at least one complaint from employees that they were not being paid regularly.

The Ohio Attorney General's office confirms to the I-Team that it has 18 open liens against Orchem for workers compensation and on behalf of the Ohio Department of Taxation.

On the Butler County Clerk of Courts website, there are at least 34 complaints about money-related issues involving Robertson or Orchem.

Robertson, 73, was originally scheduled to be in court Thursday, Sept. 13, but the I-Team has confirmed that Robertson will not appear in court. Reasons for him not showing up have not yet been released.

Right now there are 20 open civil cases filed against Orchem. The I-Team has confirmed through court paperwork that Robertson and his wife owe more than $2.4 million to two banks for the property.

Robertson is not a stranger to the spotlight. "The Big O," as he's been referred to, made his name in basketball on the court at UC as well as with NBA teams. Robertson donated a kidney to his daughter in 1997 and spoke out publicly this year in the fight against prostate cancer after being treated for his own diagnosis.

The I-Team contacted Robertson, who referred us to his attorney. The I-Team has placed multiple calls to his attorney and as of this writing, none have been returned.

Stay with 9 News and WCPO.com for the latest updates on this I-Team investigation.

Print this article Back to Top