Here's how police negotiators ended Oakley SWAT standoff

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Police Department's SWAT officers spent more than an hour working at de-escalating a standoff in an Oakley apartment complex after several shots were fired Monday night.

Nathaniel Jungkunz

Police said Nathaniel Jungkunz, 28, barricaded himself inside an apartment after his father called authorities, concerned for his safety. Jungkunz fired "several shots," including some in the direction of officers, according to police.

"Nathan was concerned about his safety, and about things going on in his personal life," Detective Marcus McNeil said.

McNeil, a homicide detective and SWAT member for 10 years, was the primary negotiator.

"I wanted to provide Nathan with some assurances that he was going to be OK as long as continued to not do anything to cause further alarm," McNeil said.

Jungkunz's sister was also inside the building, but escaped.

McNeil spoke to first responders who dealt with Jungkunz first and then his father to get an idea of what he was going through. That's how he was able to convince Jungkunz to come out.

"The key is, and what everything is kind of tailed off of, is active listening," McNeil said. "So, you listen to that person and you find out what that person's needs are."

McNeil said he told Jungkunz that he couldn't solve all his problems, but he could get him out of the situation he was in then.

Officer Tim Epstein was part of the negotiation support team, which includes between 10 and 12 people all playing different roles. He said in a situation like that, it's important to imagine what the suspect is feeling.

"That's part of the trick of being a negotiator, is trying to experience his experience, not your own," Epstein said.

Jungkunz eventually came out and surrendered to police.

"Nathan surrendering peacefully is the first step to any type of recovery that Nathan and his family want to go through," McNeil said.

Each situation is different. Both McNeil and Epstein said they're glad this one ended peacefully.

"It's really all about slowing things down and helping people make the right decisions," Epstein said.

Jungkunz was charged with felonious assault. He is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday morning.

Print this article Back to Top