MINNEAPOLIS, MINN. – Pete Rose is allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities at Great American Ball Park next year, outgoing commissioner Bud Selig said Tuesday.
"That'll be up to the Cincinnati club, and they know what they can do and they can't do," Selig said in a press conference with baseball writers before the All-Star Game. "They've been very good about that. We haven't had that [specific] discussion."
Rose, banned from baseball in 1989 for gambling on Reds games, told WCPO that he would love to participate.
"Don't you know? I'm throwing out the first pitch," Rose said straight-faced, then broke into a wide smile that said he was joking.
It seems fitting for Selig to let Rose enjoy the All-Star spotlight in his hometown again since that is where Rose delivered arguably the most memorable moment in All-Star history - crashing into catcher Ray Fosse to score the winning run in 1970 at Riverfront Stadium.
Selig set a precedent in 1999 when he allowed Rose to join other All-Century Team candidates on the field at the All-Star Game in Boston, and later when he allowed him on the field when MLB introduced the All-Century Team that year during the World Series in Atlanta.
Rose got the loudest cheers from the crowd.
Reds COO Phil Castellini had told WCPO last week that he didn't think MLB would allow Rose to join in the official festivities next July.
"Is there a chance that he’ll be included in the official MLB ceremonial stuff? Doubtful," Castellini said. "But Pete is just as free as anybody to buy a ticket and come to the event. So, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pete, if not at one of the events in town and at the ballpark.
"We continue to lobby for anything Pete. I’m a big fan and hopeful that gets resolved at some point, but I think the probability of that, I couldn’t give you a guess … I don’t see it being that likely."
Selig allowed Rose to join in two recent on-field ceremonies at GABP – the 25th anniversary of his record-breaking 4,192nd hit in 2010 and the 2013 Joe Morgan Weekend featuring the dedication of Morgan's statue and honoring the Big Red Machine's Great Eight.
Selig is retiring in January and has said he doesn't want to leave Rose's application for reinstatement unresolved for his successor.
But he hasn't changed his position, he said Tuesday.
"It's under advisement. That's my standard line."
You can watch fan reaction to the news that Rose will be involved in the video player above.