Photo courtesy of WEWS.
Hide Caption

Ariel Castro, Cleveland kidnapping suspect may get plea deal

a a a a
Share this story

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Attorneys and prosecutors for a man accused of kidnapping three women, keeping them captive in his Cleveland home for nearly a decade and raping them repeatedly said they have entered into plea negotiations.

Both sides are scheduled to appear in court Friday morning for a final pretrial hearing for Ariel Castro, 53, and to update a Cuyahoga County judge on the talks.

Plea deal negotiations are hinging on whether the prosecutor would rule out the death penalty as the defense has demanded.

Castro, whose trial is slated to start Aug. 5, has pleaded not guilty nearly 1,000 counts of kidnap, rape and other crimes. His 576-page indictment includes two counts of aggravated murder for allegedly punching and starving one of the women until she miscarried.

Cleveland TV stations reported Thursday that a plea offer had been made. Defense attorney Jaye Schlachet declined to comment on the status of the talks but said offers and counteroffers would be expected.

"We're in the middle of plea negotiating, that's where we're at," he said. "Plea negotiations have been undertaken which, when there's plea offers and like any other negotiations, there's offers, there's negotiations, there's acceptance of offers, things of that sort."

Friday's hearing was a "final pretrial," Laura Creed, chief judicial staff attorney for the Cuyahoga County Clerk of Courts, said in an email.

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Tim McGinty's office had nothing to add beyond Wednesday's mention in court of plea negotiations, spokesman Joe Frolik said in an email.

There was no immediate comment from the legal team representing the three women.

Castro is accused of repeatedly restraining the women, sometimes chaining them to a pole in a basement, to a bedroom heater or inside a van. His indictment charges him with 512 counts of kidnapping, 446 counts of rape, seven counts of gross sexual imposition, six counts of felonious assault, three counts of child endangerment and one count of possessing criminal tools.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were in their teens or early 20s. Each said she had accepted a ride from Castro.

Castro, a former school bus driver, has been jailed since his arrest on May 6 shortly after the women escaped to freedom.

Copyright Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Print this article

Comments

Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!

More On This Story
Cleveland kidnapping victim to talk to Dr. Phil
Cleveland kidnapping victim to talk to Dr. Phil

One of three women who escaped from a ramshackle Cleveland home after more than a decade in captivity is about to share her story.

Ariel Castro's body scheduled to be claimed
Ariel Castro's body scheduled to be claimed

As authorities launched two probes to try to determine how Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro managed to commit suicide while in prison, his…

Ariel Castro may get plea deal
Ariel Castro may get plea deal

Attorneys and prosecutors for a man accused of kidnapping three women, keeping them captive in his Cleveland home for nearly a decade and…

Amanda Berry on stage with rapper Nelly
Amanda Berry on stage with rapper Nelly

Amanda Berry was sighted on stage with rapper Nelly Saturday at Roverfest in Voinovich Park in downtown Cleveland, just one day after her…

Ariel Castro moved to new prison facility
Ariel Castro moved to new prison facility

An Ohio corrections official says the Cleveland man sentenced to life in prison for holding three women captive over a decade and raping them…

'Walking the walk' to end sexual crimes
'Walking the walk' to end sexual crimes

A Cleveland man came to Cincinnati Saturday to "walk the walk" in order to keep a promise he made to the three women who were allegedly held…

Ariel Castro pleads not guilty
Ariel Castro pleads not guilty

A man accused of holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hundreds of charges,…

Ariel Castro faces 329 charges
Ariel Castro faces 329 charges

The man accused of kidnapping three Cleveland women and holding them captive in his Seymour Avenue house for a decade was indicted on 329…

Ramsey promised free burgers for life
Ramsey promised free burgers for life

The man who famously put down his Big Mac to help rescue three women held captive for a decade in an Ohio house will never have to pay for…

Emotional cops recount Seymour rescue
Emotional cops recount Seymour rescue

His voice cracking, Cleveland Police Officer Anthony Espada is seen on the video fighting back tears, as he describes the moment he first saw…