CINCINNATI - “I have a moustache, therefore I am.” – Anonymous
The leaves are changing color, the days are shorter, the air is colder and the beards are in full bloom. Wait, what? If you haven’t noticed a rapid growth in men’s facial hair around the office or classroom, take another look around you. It’s Movember, after all!
You may have heard of “No Shave November,” but did you know there’s actually a huge movement behind it? Movember is an official global charity born in Melbourne, Australia in 2003, that raises awareness for and funds to combat men’s health issues such as prostate and testicular cancer, as well as various mental health challenges.
Men are encouraged to grow moustaches for the month of November and ask friends and family to donate to their facial enhancement efforts.
We’ve compiled a list of 9 facts – both true and, well, subjective – about the moustaches and the movement:
1. It’s not just for the bros: Women, or Mo Sistas, are encouraged to raise money for Movember too. According to the Movember website, “Mo Sistas do everything that Mo Bros do, without a Mo (slang for mustache).”
2. In 2012, more than 1.1 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas around the world participated in Movember, raising $147 million.
3. The Trucker? The Connoisseur? The Rock Star? Movember organizers don’t want to you to rock a boring old ‘stache, so they’ve created a style guide that let’s you select and maintain a rockin’ style.
4. No cheating. You have to start the month totally clean shaven and see what kind of facial concoction you can grow in 30 days. Can’t grow a moustache? You can still donate and raise money for men’s health!
5. Comedian and actor Nick Offerman was voted number one on the list of the 17 Most Inspiring Hollywood Moustaches of 2013 (So Far). This fact is not up for debate.
6. According to Reader’s Digest, the average man with a Mo touches it approximately 760 times a day.
7. Moustache hair grows faster than any other body hair, with peak seasons being spring and summer.
8. Most people like moustaches. A 2008 poll by the British newspaper The Guardian found 61 percent of respondents believes mustaches were “gentlemanly and sophisticated,” while only 39 percent believed mustaches are worn by “fools and fiends.”
9. According to Movember’s website, in 2012 Movember was “ranked in the top 100 best NGOs (charities) in world by Global Journal, based on three key main criteria: impact, innovation and sustainability. To put that in context, there are an estimated 5 million NGOs around the world.”
It’s not too late to join in, ladies and gents! Visit http://us.movember.com to register and start raising money for a good cause!
BONUS: If you can’t get enough of Movember, check out Nick Offerman’s exploration through time, with his “Greatest Moments in Moustache History” video.
Facial hair on men: yay or nay? Ladies, sound of by chatting with me on Twitter, @jennyfromthebak. Spoiler alert: I’m definitely voting “yay.”
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Runners are getting serious about the Flying Pig Marathon. We asked our 9 On Your Side Facebook fans what they're doing to get ready. And…
There is just so much WRONG in Cincinnati.
Anyone can write a review that says "the food was great!" It takes a real EXPERIENCE to write reviews like these.
So it's finally time for the deep freeze to leave the Tri-State. What's first on your agenda? Our Facebook fans shared their plans.
Kentuckians, to you this may be old news, but it’s awesomely fresh to many other folks on the Internet.
Look around Cincinnati and you'll see art everywhere--in murals that are strange, beautiful and sometimes quirky. We've selected…
Print this "stay home from work" excuse note from Steve Raleigh and your boss just might cut you a break as severe weather…
How many ways can you deliver school closing news to winter-weary parents? For Stephens Elementary School principal James Detwiler, it's…
February kicks off on Saturday. This is not a leap year; in fact the next one is 2016. That got us wondering, what would…
9 On Your Side's Kathrine Nero laments the top 5 disappointments in Cincinnati Sports history, as chosen by WCPO Facebook fans.