Tucked away in Fairfield, Ohio is the Elisha Morgan Mansion—a Flemish bond brick farm mansion that is one of the oldest structures in Butler County.
The Elisha Morgan Mansion is furnished with decor that would have been characteristic of the time period when it was built in 1817. The fireplace in this photo depicts the Greek Revival style that was part of the second addition to the home in 1858.
Fairfield bought the Elisha Morgan Mansion, along with the 16 acres of land that were left of the estate, from the last family to inhabit the house in 1980. The land was turned into a public park and the historic structure was completely renovated.
The structure was originally built in a brick Federalist style, but another brick Greek Revival addition was added to the home in 1858 under the ownership of David Hueston. There is still a clear line in the brick where the home was expanded.
The Elisha Morgan estate was believed to have been on 48.68 acres of land. Elisha Morgan purchased the land for $1,650 at a time when the government was selling property in the Symmes Purchase for $2 an acre.
The Elisha Morgan Mansion today is used as a venue for wedding ceremonies, receptions, rehearsal dinners or other private events.