CINCINNATI - You probably don’t need to be told anymore, but it’s cold. More on that in this week’s 9 things to know.
1. As if lows in the negatives aren’t enough, wind chills reaching 30-below are expected. The 9 First Warning Weather team forecasts warmer temperatures for the rest of the week.
2. With snow comes the potential for freezing pipes and water meters. It’s been happening in Northern Kentucky and could happen to you.
- So how cold is it? It’s record-breaking in some Midwestern cities.
3. The results are in and Macklemore, Lorde and Daft Punk win big at the 56th annual Grammy awards. The most talked about moment of the night might go to Pharrell Williams though, who wore a memorable hat during the ceremony.
4. Hydraulic fracturing isn’t something you usually hear about in southwest Ohio, but that could change. The U.S. Coast Guard is currently deciding whether to let gas companies ship barges with fracking wastewater down the Ohio River .
5. Eric Lawson, the actor who played the iconic Marlboro man in Marlboro cigarette ads, has died of a smoking-related illness. Lawson started smoking at 14 and died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. After his stint at the Marlboro man he actually appeared in anti-smoking ads.
6. Who needs the Grammys when you have local artists to celebrate? Check out these photos from the Cincinnati Entertainment Awards, honoring local entertainers for the past 17 years.
7. The face of food stamps isn’t what it used to be. For the first time it’s working-age people making up the majority of those who use food assistance. High unemployment and a stagnant wages are partly to blame.
8. Toothpaste: Yum? Crest announced of a new line of chocolate and vanilla toothpaste products aimed at “experimental” customers. The line is called “Be.”
9. Here comes the Super Bowl! Cue the parties, the predictions and the million dollar commercials. And, of course the question: "What will Manning do?"
And if you think you might be part of the social media conversation on Sunday, the hashtag is #SB48.