CINCINNATI - Cincinnati welcomes a new police chief and the Reds could be one step closer to the World Series. That and more in the 9 things to know this week.
1. Although the week starts out dreary, your 9 First Warning Weather forecast calls for highs in the low 80s for most of the week.
2. We’re on the hunt for the Reds October and your Cincinnati Reds take on the Pittsburgh Pirates Tuesday. If they win, they advance to take on the St. Louis Cardinals. If they lose? Well, let’s not think about that. Tune into 9 On Your Side on Monday at 7:30 p.m. for the Reds "Race to the Pennant" special!
3. Cincinnati has a new police chief. It's Jeffery Blackwell's first week on the job after being sworn in Monday. He faces a jump in serious crime in the city. You can read more about that from WCPO’s Kareem Elgazzar.
4. Ryan Widmer seeks another trial with the U.S. Supreme Court. Widmer is currently serving 15 years to life for a 2011 murder conviction. A jury found him guilty of drowning his wife, Sarah Widmer, in the bathtub.
5. It was a tough loss to the Cleveland Browns for the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday. The Bengals face the New England Patriots Sunday at 1 p.m. at Paul Brown Stadium.
6. We’re closed? The government faces a possible shutdown this week. We have a story on WCPO.com that explains how we got here.
7. On Oct. 1, Americans can sign up for health insurance through new health care exchanges provided by Affordable Care Act. What does that mean for local businesses? Lucy May tells you.
8. TedxCincinnati hosts its "Sound Ideas" event on Oct. 3 at Memorial Hall. What is Tedx? We tell you here. P.S. Your #9Community team will be there, so come say hello to Holly, Libby and Jenny!
9. TedxCincinnati is one of the featured events of Cincinnati Design Week (Sept. 30 to Oct. 5). Want to support your local artists and designers? Head to http://cincinnatidesignweek.com/
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A man was killed late Friday afternoon after being shot in the face in Over-the-Rhine.
Chris Heisey hit two home runs and drove in four runs and Brandon Phillips added a homer and three RBI.
Following what state authorities called ‘one of the largest heroin busts in Kentucky history,’ U.S. Senate Republican Leader…
When Small Town America celebrates one of its own, it holds a parade. And that's what Lawrenceburg is doing for Nick Goepper.
What would be more fun: skiing around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway or driving the pace car at the 500? Nick Goepper might find out.
A chase involving a stolen vehicle ended in a crash Friday in Mount Healthy, police said.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine was taken to Christ Hospital Friday after falling ill before a speaking engagement in Cincinnati.
A local Marine is dead after police say he was shot in the head by a fellow Marine in California this past weekend.
Cincinnati Police said its investigation into the Greenpeace high-wire, stunt protest at Procter and Gamble headquarters is closed, police…