LOVELAND – After 145 days in the hospital, Ethan Kadish is finally home.
The 13-year-old Loveland boy had been hospitalized since he was struck by lightning June 29 while attending a Jewish summer camp near Indianapolis. He suffered a severe brain injury.
He was discharged from the Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center Rehabilitation Unit Wednesday after his doctors determined Ethan was strong enough to go home.
His homecoming was quiet and dignified. His family’s modified minivan pulled into the driveway with the Phillip Phillips’ song “Home” playing and eased to a stop. Ethan emerged in his wheelchair to be greeted by his uncle, Marc Kadish, his older brother, Zakary, his younger sister, Elyse, and their dog, Cincy.
“Thanksgiving has come eight days early,” Ethan's father, Scott Kadish, said after taking Ethan inside. “We are very thankful for Ethan’s spirit, strength and determination to work on his recovery the way he has.”
The Kadishes said they’re also grateful to the doctors and nurses at Cincinnati Children’s and the legions of friends and local volunteers who have helped their family.
Ethan’s story has touched the hearts of people around the Tri-State, throughout the Midwest and around the world. Roughly 400 local volunteers – known as Team Ethan – have spent nearly five months cooking meals, staying at the hospital and taking turns watching Cincy.
As big of a milestone as Ethan’s homecoming is, though, the Kadishes know he has a long journey of recovery ahead.
As 16-year-old Zakary put it: “Today was a big step, but we still can’t see the end of the staircase. So we’re just going to keep climbing.”
The Kadish family has established a website at www.jointeamethan.org and a Facebook page called Join Team Ethan to update friends, family and well wishers about Ethan. The family also is accepting donations to help with his ongoing care and medical needs that aren’t covered by insurance.
The next major local fundraiser is called Eighth Night for Ethan. The community Hanukkah celebration will be held from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 4 at Rockwern Academy and will feature musician Dan Nichols.
For now, though, the Kadishes are celebrating Ethan’s progress and the fact that he’s home.
Over these past five months, Ethan has gone from having to breathe with the help of a respirator to breathing on his own, his father said.
He’s gone from the ICU to home.
“I’ve been looking forward to this for 145 days, and I am so happy that we’re all going to spend the night at home together,” Alexia Kadish said.
“We’re very happy to have him home,'' she said, "and have all our kids under one roof.”
For more information about Team Ethan and Eighth Night for Ethan, go to www.jointeamethan.org.
Photography by Emily Maxwell, WCPO photojournalist.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A Clermont County grand jury indicted a Union Township man Tuesday on charges of murder, aggravated murder and rape for the February death of…
Tri-State students are smoking less tobacco and more marijuana, according to a study by the Coalition for Drug Free Greater Cincinnati.
Authorities released the former poll worker sentenced to five years in prison for voter fraud in the November 2012 presidential…
The scenic city overlooking the Ohio River in Kenton County is without its police chief this week.
Mayor John Cranley wants to change how COLAs are calculated for retirees and dip into a health care trust to cover an $870 million unfunded…
Ever heard of the Hula Burger? There's a reason it's not on the McDonald's menu and a reason why the Filet-O-Fish remains a…
Michael Johnson is cashing in with Tampa Bay on the first day of free agency, and Brandon Tate is staying put.
Ever feel like busting a move on a city street? Popa's Pones Inc. actually encourages spontaneous dancing in public, and uses performance…
An East Price Hill man will stay locked up for another week unless his son can clean up his property.
Patrons and staff celebrated the grand re-opening of a local sports bar months after a grease fire closed its doors.