The teenage twins sentenced last week for their part in the "boredom beating" case were back before the same judge Wednesday facing new assault charges.
There's more to the story when you become an Insider. WCPO Insider's membership is an additional benefit on top of everything you can get for free on WCPO.com. We created an entire digital organization dedicated to bringing you exclusive access to in-depth stories that you can’t get anywhere else, handpicked events, and incredible savings on things you love to do. To find out more click here.
CINCINNATI -- The teenage twins sentenced last week for their part in the "boredom beating" case were back before the same judge Wednesday facing new assault charges.
They pleaded not guilty to the new charges in connection with a fight outside Aiken High School on the night before their sentencing.
Judge Sylvia Hendon ordered them to remain in custody and scheduled their trial for Feb. 28.
The hearing was supposed to be held Tuesday, but the boys' parents didn't show up.
Prosecutors are now calling for Hendon to reconsider her sentence in the "boredom beating" case. She ordered the teens to "Rite of Passage," a reform school at the former Hillcrest facility, rather than behind bars at the Department of Youth Services.
Prosecutors said they didn't know about the new charges at the time of sentencing.
In 2012, the twins were accused along with four other boys of beating Pat Mahaney as he walked home from a store in North College Hill. At the time, they said they did it because they were bored.
Mahaney was hospitalized for several days, became deeply depressed and shut himself off in his house, neglecting his health, relatives said.
Mahaney died 11 months later. A coroner ruled his death was the result of natural causes, not the beating.
RELATED: Three youths who attacked Pat Mahaney get their sentences 18 months later North College Hill assault victim died of natural causes