Delores Jackson: 72-year-old charged in stabbing death of Cincinnati resident takes stand

HAMILTON, Ohio – A 72-year-old Hamilton woman charged with stabbing a woman to death said during her trial Wednesday that she didn’t mean to hurt anyone.

On the stand, Delores 'DeeDee' Jackson, of Grant Circle, outlined her version of what happened on June 14 that led to a physical altercation resulting in the death of Diana Ross, 56, of Cincinnati.

Jackson, who is charged with murder and tampering with evidence, told the court Ross drove to her house at 505 Monument Street just after 11 p.m. on the night of the of the incident and started an argument. She also testified she believed Ross had been drinking before making the trek to her home.

Although the subject matter of that particular argument is unclear, family members told the Journal-News that the two women had a history of arguing with each other.

Jackson then went on to describe having an “open” folding knife on top of her fanny pack that she was trying to keep away from Ross so “no one would get hurt.”

“I didn’t mean to hurt nobody,” the suspect said, before professing in court that she didn’t know how Ross ended up suffering her fatal stab wounds.

While on the stand, Jackson was asked to address the tampering with evidence charge. She told the court she went back to her house and hid the knife, put a different knife on her porch, changed her shirt because it had blood on it and then put the bloodied shirt in a garbage can.

Defense attorney David Brewer said earlier in the week that he planned to argue his client was acting in self-defense.

“This is not a who-done-it case,” Brewer said. “It just is whether there is justification.”

In court on Tuesday, the prosecution presented video tape of the police interrogation of Jackson.

"She was hitting on me and punching me. I just went in my fanny pack," said Jackson. "I went in and got my knife and I came up off the ground and I came up like that, officer. To get her off of me."

Det. Jim Calhoun of the Hamilton Police Department said before the trial began that there were no signs of struggle or defensive or offensive wounds found on Jackson.

The defense is expected to rest its case Wednesday. The case will then go to the jury.

Print this article Back to Top