There’s something to be said about a person who can handle the spookiness of working solo in an office in the wee hours of the morning, the emergency room staffs who see their fair share of craziness and the servers who know how to sober up a patron who left the bar at closing time.
May 14 is National Night Shift Workers’ Day, a time to honor those who keep the wheels turning and midnight oil burning while the rest of us snuggle in our beds. To those who work the sometimes daunting hours of 11 p.m. through 7 a.m., we salute you with this list.
Eleven signs you work the night shift:
1. The majority of your meals come from a combination of Starbucks and the gas station.
2. It isn’t unusual for you to ration your caffeine, and have it immediately available in a variety of forms.
3. Your day-working friends can’t relate to the joy of waking up at 2 p.m. on a weekday to the smell of freshly-cut grass and chirping birds.
4. On the weekends, you can stay up and party way later than the work-a-day crowd.
5. Your skin has developed an otherworldly glow due to lack of exposure to sunlight.
6. If you must leave your house during the day -- sunglasses. Even if it’s raining.
7. You know exactly when each fast-food restaurant on the path from work to home begins and stops serving breakfast.
8. You don’t underestimate the importance of napping.
9. Circadian rhythm? Schmircadian rhythm. Your body operates on a schedule unique to you.
10. You keep the world running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and don’t get enough credit for doing so.
11. Contrary to popular belief, you still hang out with friends and loved ones during the day. You just put in more effort to make it happen.