If you still have some spending money left over from the holiday season, January is a great month to buy certain items.
Experts at savings website Dealnews.com say if you’re thinking about making January a shop-free month, you may want to think again. Stores are slashing prices on unsold holiday merchandise.
What to Buy Now
- Cold weather clothing: January is a great month to buy winter clothing. It’s marked down and there’s still plenty of time to wear it this season. Believe it or not, stores are already stocking up on beach wear.
- Big screen TV's: Prices on HDTVs are also significantly lower because last year’s models are marked down. Look for big pre-Super Bowl sales later this month.
- White Sales: January is also a traditionally good time for sales on bedding, mattresses, and furniture. The biggest sales will be over MLK weekend.
What to Wait On
But there are some shopping items you should avoid this month, Deal News says.
- Workout Gear: January is not a great month to buy fitness equipment. Everyone wants it and a lot of people are trying to fulfill their New Year’s resolutions. The big sales come in March and April, when people start working out outdoors again.
- Luggage: Another item to avoid: luggage. Everyone is buying it now for spring break and cruise season. Luggage is cheapest during back-to-school season in the summer.
Hurry up for Jewelry
Finally, if you want jewelry, you should hurry. It's on markdown now, after Christmas, But prices will go up in the next few weeks for Valentine's Day.
Finally, If you are in the market for a big TV, Dealnews.com experts say you should look for the biggest sales around Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Jan. 20 and just before the Super Bowl on Feb. 2.
Appliances see their biggest sales of the year over President's Day weekend in February.
And that way, you don’t waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like" John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter (@DWYM)
Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
John Matarese reports on the wait for ignition switch repairs
A dangerous new phishing scam is targeting the sensitive information of millions of Netflix users.
John Matarese has a caution for anyone trying to save money by dress shopping onlin.e
Check out John Matarese's latest money saving smartphone apps.
John Matarese has a warning about a major tax scam this spring.
When it comes to chicken, big packs of boneless breasts look like a good deal. But look closer.
John Matarese looks into higher prices hitting just as spring arrives
John Matarese warns about the "One-Ring" scam
As millions of Americans race to meet Tuesday's tax deadline, they will make mistakes that could increase their chances of being put…
Every spring, thousands of Tri-State homeowners buy or renew home warranties to protect themselves against costly repairs. But are all…