FAIRFIELD, Ohio -- Tucked away behind the main streets of Fairfield is the Elisha Morgan Mansion—a Flemish bond brick farm mansion.
Though the historic home is now used primarily as a venue for weddings and meetings, the mansion is an important part of Fairfield's history, as one of Butler County's oldest structures.
Elisha Nathan Morgan, of Hunterdon, N.J., came to Fairfield in 1817 with his wife, Sarah Brown. Fairfield Arts & Programs Manager Heidi Schiller says while it is not clear if Morgan purchased the home or had it built, it was designed in a traditional Federalist style.
After Sarah died at the age of 36, Morgan remarried to widow Elizabeth Monfort LaBoiteaux and together they raised six children inside the home, according to city records.
The property was eventually sold to John Hay in 1829 and it became known as the Hay House for 20 years. Hay's son-in-law, David Hueston, purchased the estate in 1849 and put a Greek Revival addition in the back of the home, according to the City of Fairfield.
Several owners took over the estate over the next 80 years until the city purchased it.
Check out photos and more information on the Elisha Morgan Mansion below.
The Morgan Estate
The city purchased the Elisha Morgan Mansion, along with the 16 acres of land that were left from the estate, from the last family to inhabit the house in 1980. Since then the land has been used as a public park and the historic structure was completely renovated. It was listed as a National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Inside the Mansion
The Elisha Morgan Mansion is furnished with decor that would have been characteristic of the time period when it was built, which is believed to be in the late 1817, according to Schiller.
A Room With A View
City records show that the Elisha Morgan estate was believed to have been on 48.68 acres of land. Elisha Morgan purchased the land for $1,650 at a time when the government was selling property in the Symmes Purchase for $2 an acre. When the City of Fairfield bought the land in 1980, only 16 acres of the original property remained in the estate.
The home was originally built in the Federalist style, but owner David Hueston's $1,000 addition in 1858 integrated Greek Revival design—a popular trend of the 1800s. There is a clear division in the brick on the side of the home where the expansion was added.
The Mansion Today
After the city purchased the home in 1980, the interior and exterior underwent major renovations. The Elisha Morgan Mansion is now home to the Fairfield Historical Society's monthly meetings. It can also be rented.
If You Go
Hours: Contact Parks and Recreation Department to arrange a tour.
Address: 6181 Ross Road, Fairfield, OH 45014
Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.