CINCINNATI - You may have noticed that Yahoo! introduced a new logo Thursday morning. Or maybe not? Most experts rank the search engine after top dog Google and relative newcomer Bing. Still, with about 160,000,000 unique visitors per month, someone's using Yahoo.
Although it’s too early to tell if the struggling search engine can call the new look a success, the redesign is part of a facelift the company has been going through since Google executive Marissa Mayer was hired as CEO 14 months ago.
Tumblr, a microblogging site that Yahoo! acquired for $1.1 billion, is where the new logo was first announced. Over that past 30 days the search engine showcased discarded logos in hopes to drum up buzz over the change.
“We wanted a logo that stayed true to our roots (whimsical, purple, with an exclamation point) yet embraced the evolution of our products," a statement on the website said.
It’s the word Yahoo! with non-touching, skinny letters and an exclamation point.
Are you a fan on the new look?
We asked our Facebook fans. The overwhelming response seemed to be, "We're underwhelmed."
- In Hwang: "Didn't notice the change. Had no idea they had a logo. Lol"
- Joey Goller: "I quit using yahoo years ago but now they they have this new logo..."
- La'Parra Vinson: "Who using yahoo to search anymore..I personally havent used it in 5 years or more lol"
- Teri Wiseman: "I use Google. But no, I don't like the type they picked for the new Yahoo. It seems weak."
- Theresa Baumann: "I Use Yahoo And I Like It"
Take a gander and let us know by sounding off on our Facebook page or commenting below.