CINCINNATI -- If Sunday’s storms left you with roof damage, downed trees and other damage to your home, here are some immediate steps that the Ohio Department of Insurance suggests you take.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as you can.
- Take reasonable steps to prevent additional damage. Try to board up the damaged area, if it’s safe to do so.
- If power lines are down, DO NOT attempt to move them. Call your utility company. To report downed lines in Indiana, call (800) 521-2232. To report downed lines in Kentucky and Ohio, call (800) 544-6900.
- Closely inspect your property and cars for any damage.
- Review your insurance policies to see what all is covered. Make sure you keep receipts for any repairs.
- Be patient as you wait to hear back from your agent or from an insurance adjuster. If you’ve not heard from someone in a week, call the department’s Consumer Services hotline at 1-800-686-1526.
For more, click on http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/Consumer/documents/windstormfaq%27s.pdf