The Xavier Musketeers (7-4) will look to rebound from their third loss in four games when they take on Tennessee (7-3) at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn.
Game time: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 6 p.m.
Last meeting: Dec. 22, 2007 – Tennessee 82, Xavier 75
Television: ESPNU and WatchESPN.com with play-by-play from Clay Matvick and analysis from Jimmy Dykes.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (`79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (`88).
Below are Xavier game notes prepared by the Xavier University Athletic Department
The X's And O's
- Xavier, 7-4, dropped its second straight game, a 56-55 heartbreaker to Wofford on Dec. 22. Senior Travis Taylor led Xavier with a double-double for the second straight game. Taylor tied his XU career high for scoring with 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the field to go with a game-high 11 rebounds.
- The Musketeers's game at Tennessee is the first of two straight on the road before Xavier opens up Atlantic 10 Conference play on Jan. 10 vs. Temple. XU will be at Wake Forest on Jan. 2 for the Skip Prosser Classic.
- Xavier freshman Semaj Christon leads Xavier in scoring (14.2 ppg.), assists (5.5 apg.) and steals (1.5 spg.). Christon is a two-time Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week selection. Christon has averaged 20.5 ppg. and 5.8 apg. in his four games outside the city of Cincinnati.
- XU sophomore Justin Martin, who has scored in double figures in eight of his 10 games played this season, is fourth on the team in scoring at 10.3 ppg. and is third in rebounding at 4.8 rpg., while shooting 52.9 percent from the field.Xavier junior Isaiah
- Philmore, a Towson transfer who became eligible in the fourth game of the season, has averaged 7.3 points and 6.8 rebounds over the last six games, including his first XU double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds vs. Vanderbilt on Dec. 6. For the season, Philmore is second on the team in rebounding at 5.6 rpg.
- Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is third on the team in scoring at 10.8 ppg. and is second in assists at 3.7 apg.
- The Muskies' senior Travis Taylor is team's leading rebounder at 7.2 rpg., while standing second in scoring at 11.2 ppg. Taylor has posted double-doubles in each of the last two games: an XU career-high tying 20 points to go with 11 rebounds vs. Wofford on Dec. 22 and 12 points and 10 rebounds vs. Cincinnati on Dec. 19.Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 80-34 (.702) overall as Xavier's head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.