LAS VEGAS - The No. 22-ranked University of Cincinnati men's basketball team looks to remain unbeaten as it takes on Iowa State in Las Vegas at the Global Sports Invitational on Friday at 6:30 p.m.
Both UC and Iowa State enter the game with perfect 4-0 records.
The Bearcats' hot start has been fueled by the performance of senior guard Cashmere Wright. Wright, the team's leading scorer is coming off a career-high 28 points in UC's 91-72 win over visiting Campbell. Senior guard JaQuon Parker scored 21 points with eight rebounds while junior guard Sean Kilpatrick notched his second career double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds on Tuesday night.
If Cincinnati knocks off the Cyclones, it will play the winner of Friday night's Oregon-UNLV contest on Saturday at approximately 10:30 p.m. If they lose, the Bearcats will play the loser of the Oregon-UNLV game on Saturday at 8:30 p.m.
Here's a look at the info surrounding the game:
Series Info: Fourth meeting; UC leads 2-1 at neutral sites.
Last Meeting: UC won 75-60 in the championship game of the Big Island Invitational in Hilo, Hawaii on Nov. 28, 1999.
Coaches: Mick Cronin is in his seventh season at Cincinnati (117-86); 10th season overall (186-112).
Fred Hoiberg is in his third season at Iowa State (43-27); third season overall (43-27).
Rankings: Cincinnati is ranked No. 22 in the AP and No. 20 in the USA Today polls. Iowa State is not ranked.
Radio: 102.7 WEBN-FM; Tom Gelehrter provides play-by-play with color analyst Chuck Machock.
TV: CBS Sports Network; James Bates provides play-by-play with color analysts Steve Lappas and Doug Gottlieb.
UC Twitter Page: @GoBEARCATS
STORYLINES FOR THE BEARCATS
- The Bearcats return three starters and 10 lettermen from last season's squad that posted a 26-11 overall record; appeared in their first Big East Championship title game and returned to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the first time since 2001. The squad set school records for best finish in the Big East regular season (tied for fourth) and most league wins (12) while also defeating a school-best eight ranked teams during the year.
- This season's squad features one of the best backcourts in the Big East Conference with junior guard Sean Kilpatrick and senior guards Cashmere Wright and JaQuon Parker.
- The Bearcats were picked to finish fourth in the Big East according to a preseason poll of the league's coaches.
- Kilpatrick was named to the weekly Big East Honor Roll on Monday after scoring a career-high 29 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field, including a career-high eight three-pointers in Cincinnati's 93-39 win over North Carolina A&T on Sunday. He also added seven rebounds, five assists with no turnovers and two steals against the Aggies. Kilpatrick was recently named the Wooden award and Naismith award watch lists. He was tabbed first team All-Big East in the preseason.
- The Bearcats will play their first games away from home this weekend with a pair of contests in Las Vegas. UC was 12-7 away from Fifth Third Arena last year, posting a 5-2 record at neutral sites and 7-5 mark in true road games. UC's seven road wins last season finished second only to Syracuse (eight) for most in the Big East.
- UC is 8-1 all-time against teams it will or could play in Las Vegas. The Bearcats are 2-1 against Friday's opponent, Iowa State while they are 1-0 against Oregon and 5-0 against UNLV.
MEET IOWA STATE
- Iowa State has four players averaging double figures in points led by guard Will Clyburn's 15.0 points. He is also the team's co-leader in rebounding with 8.3 per game. Forward Georges Niang is second on the squad in scoring with 14.3 points per game to with 7.0 rebounds per game. Guard Tyrus McGee leads Iowa State with 13 three-pointers this season. Guard Korie Lucious hands out a team-best 5.5 assists each game.
- The Cyclones made 11 three-pointers in their 86-57 win over North Carolina A&T on Tuesday and have 10 more triples in three of four games this season. ISU leads the Big 12 with 10.0 three-pointers per game.
- The Cyclones were picked to finish eighth in the Big 12 by the league coaches in the preseason.
- ISU was 23-11 overall last season advancing to the third round of the NCAA tournament before losing to eventual national champion Kentucky 87-71.
THE IOWA STATE SERIES
- Friday's game marks the fourth meeting in series history with UC holding a 2-1 advantage. All three previous games were played at neutral sites.
- The top-ranked Bearcats defeated the Cyclones 75-60 in the championship game of the Big Island Invitational on Nov. 28, 1999. UC also earned a 60-52 second-round win over Iowa State in the Great Alaska Shootout on Nov. 27, 1998.
- ISU won the inaugural meeting, a 67-66 decision, in the second round of the 1997 NCAA tournament
- Midwest regional.