CINCINNATI - It's time to go dancing: the Sweet 16 starts Thursday night. For NCAA fans who want to drop some extra knowledge on your friends during commercial breaks, Superfan Larry Smith rounds up 9 interesting facts about this year's teams.
- Ten of the 16 head coaches weren't even born the last time La Salle reached the Sweet 16 in 1955.
- According to Sports Illustrated , sales of men's apparel at the Florida Gulf Coast University bookstore are up 686 percent from this time last year.
- This is the first time Michigan and Michigan State have been in the Sweet 16 in the same year.
- Twelve of the 16 teams have won NCAA championships, from Oregon in 1939 to Duke in 2010.
- There are four Big Ten teams in the Sweet 16 for the second year in a row.
- There are an unprecedented three teams from the state of Florida in the Sweet 16.
- Six coaches have already won NCAA championships: Mike Krzyzewski of Duke; Florida's Billy Donovan; Bill Self of Kansas; Rick Pitino of Louisville; Michigan State's Tom Izzo; and, Jim Boeheim of Syracuse.
- There are at least five players whose dads played in the NBA: Tim Hardaway Jr., John Horford (Tito), and Glenn Robinson III of Michigan; Seth Curry (Dell) of Duke; and Ohio State's Shannon Scott (Charlie).
- This is the fourth year in a row that at least three double-digit seeds (#12 Oregon, #13 LaSalle, and #15 Florida Gulf Coast) have reached the Sweet 16.
Got any more tidbits about the Sweet 16? Send a Tweet to @jennyfromthebak and @LarrySmithWCPO to share some more fun facts with us!