Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon will be exonerated, lawyer says.
A New Jersey woman says she'll "never be same" after an alleged sexual attack by a Reds pitcher inside a Washington, D.C., hotel room.
There's more to the story when you become an Insider. WCPO Insider's membership is an additional benefit on top of everything you can get for free on WCPO.com. We created an entire digital organization dedicated to bringing you exclusive access to in-depth stories that you can’t get anywhere else, handpicked events, and incredible savings on things you love to do. To find out more click here.
Alfredo Simon at spring training, 2014 (Photo by Mark Slaughter/WCPO).
In a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, the woman requests $15 million for physical and emotional damages she suffered during an incident on April 27, 2013 involving Alfredo Simon.
Identified only as Jane Doe in court records, the woman suing Simon said in her statement Friday that "I sometimes feel like this man stole my sense of purpose in life."
Filings from the lawsuit claim the woman, who was 27-years-old in April 2013, was attacked by Simon inside a hotel room in the nation's capital.
RELATED: Reds pitcher Simon accused of sexual assault, sued
The accuser says she met the Reds player at a high-end nightclub earlier in the evening when Simon's manager, Kevin Verdin, approached her and brought her back to a table where the defendant and fellow Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto were sitting.
After having drinks that were purchased for her, the lawsuit alleges, Simon grabbed her hand and said "we are getting out of here," before taking her to the Mayflower Renaissance Hotel, where the Reds purchased more than 100 rooms for its players.
The victim's attorney, Baltimore-based Steve Kelly, claims his client was intoxicated and unable to give consent to any sexual contact.
The lawsuit claims Simon and the woman began a romantic encounter before Simon got rough with her. He then forced himself on her in what the suit calls a "terrifying physical attack."
The woman told Simon to stop, but he ignored her plea, and pinned her down on her stomach while she struggled and tried to get Simon off of her, the lawsuit claims. She contends Simon then grabbed her hair, and began to rape her, causing unbearable physical pain as he performed various sex acts.
She ran from Simon's room, crying, and took a taxi back to the club to get help from her roommate, according to the lawsuit. The suit states the woman told her roommate what had happened, while she was still "in pain" and "bleeding."
According to her statement on Friday, the woman says she was previously a counselor for at-risk youth in the nation's capital but "never went back to that job after April 27, 2013," she wrote in the statement.
The incident was reported to D.C. Metro Police in May 2013.
The lawsuit asks for millions in punitive and compensatory damages, claiming assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
"I am in therapy now trying to work through the pain, but I am still angry. While the physical injuries have healed, I will never be the same," she said in Friday's statement.
The woman's attorney, Steve Kelly, from Silverman, Thompson, Slutkin & White, says his client had to move home to her parents' home in New Jersey after the attack.
Simon's attorney, Jack Quinn, called the civil suit is “totally baseless” in a phone conversation with WCPO.
“Eventually (Simon will) be exonerated in court,” he said.
Simon will not be charged criminally after an investigation by a joint investigation between U.S. Attorney's Office and D.C. police.
While the U.S. Attorney's Office refused any specific comment concerning the allegations against Simon, spokesperson Bill Miller told WCPO the office “works closely with the Metropolitan Police Department and other law enforcement partners and thoroughly investigates allegations of sexual assault."
Scripps sister station WMAR reporter Christian Schaffer spoke with Kelly who said a lack of criminal charges won't stop the case from moving forward.
"The fact that the U.S. attorney, that one prosecutor determined that this case should not go forward has no impact on our ability to file a civil lawsuit," Kelly said. "But it is motivating factor for my client."
Kelly said while his client went to a hotel room voluntarily, evidence shows the woman did not agree to having sex with Simon.
"There was forensic evidence that demonstrated injuries that are just inconsistent with the notion of consent," Kelly said. "You do not consent to the type of injuries that are demonstrated in the medical records here."
The next step, according to Kelly, is to serve Simon with the lawsuit.
WCPO reporter Scott Wegener contributed to this report.