CINCINNATI — Enshrinement in the Reds Hall of Fame is a special moment for the selected players and their families.
But the moment is also memorable for the thousands of fans who’ve watched, supported and cheered on the legendary athletes as they traveled the road to baseball immortality.
With that in mind, the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame & Museum has set up a weekend of events to both celebrate the 2014 induction class and give the athletes themselves a chance to say thank you to their supporters.
The class includes Outfielders Ken Griffey Jr. and Dave Parker, second baseman Ron Oester and 19th-century first baseman Jake Beckley. Griffey, Parker and Oester grew up in Cincinnati.
- Griffey was a three-time National League All-Star during his nine seasons in Cincinnati (2000-2008), hitting 210 of his 630 career home runs while wearing the red and black. The Moeller grad is considered one of the top players of his generation.
- Parker , a Courter Tech product, was a two-time All-Star in his four seasons in the Queen City (1984-87). He had his best statistical season in 1985, hitting a career-high 34 homers and driving in a 125 RBIs while finishing just shy of his second MVP Award.
- Oester spent his entire 13-year Major League career with the Reds (1978-90) and appeared in 1,171 game at second base. The Withrow High School grad was a fan favorite for his gritty play and slick defense.
- Beckley played for the Reds from 1897-2003 and hit .325, the third-best career average in club history.
In addition to the pre-game ceremony on Saturday and the formal induction Sunday night, there are several events surrounding the event designed to give the public a chance to honor and interact with these local sports icons.
Fans can attend meet and greets with new inductees and returning Hall of Famers and alumni on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the museum on Joe Nuxhall Way. All meet-and-greet sessions are free with admission to the Hall, which is opening early Saturday (8 a.m.) and Sunday (10 a.m.).
Organizers want to remind fans that players are subject to change.
The culmination of the weekend is the star-studded Induction Gala on Sunday evening at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center in Covington.
In addition to the honorees, the roster of those scheduled to attend includes current Reds players and coaches along with other Hall of Famers and alumni.
Below is a full schedule of events for Reds Hall of Fame Induction Weekend:
Friday, Aug. 8 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Miami Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
- From 5 to 7 p.m.: Meet and greet with Reds Hall of Famers and alumni (photos only, no autographs)
- 2014 Inductees plus Johnny Bench, Jack Billingham, Tom Browning, Leo Cardenas, Clay Carroll, Eric Davis, George Foster, Cesar Geronimo, Wayne Granger, Ken Griffey Sr., Tommy Helms, Jim Maloney, Lee May, Joe Morgan, Gary Nolan, Jim O’Toole, Tony Perez, Chris Sabo and Mario Soto.
- More than 20 Reds legends, including members of the 2014 Induction Class, will be introduced on the field during post-game ceremonies.
- Fireworks show with soundtrack of Hall of Fame hits
Saturday, Aug. 9 - Cincinnati Reds vs. Miami Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
- From 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.: Meet and Greet with Reds Hall of Famers and alumni (photos only, no autographs)
- 2014 Inductees plus Bench, Billingham, Browning, Cardenas, Carroll, Davis, Foster, Griffey Sr., Geronimo, Granger, Maloney, Helms, May Morgan, Nolan, O'Toole, Perez, Sabo, Soto, Sean Casey and David Concepcion.
- Free commemorative print honoring the 2014 Induction Class to all fans in attendance, presented by P&G and Kroger.
- From 5:30 to 6 p.m.: Induction Press Conference (GABP Field Level Media Interview Room)
- At 6:30 p.m.: Griffey, Jr., Parker, Oester and Beckley will be officially inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame during on-field ceremonies. Marty Brennaman will be the master of ceremonies and Griffey Jr., Parker and Oester will address the crowd and throw out ceremonial first pitches.
Sunday, Aug. 10 - Cincinnati Reds vs. Miami Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
- From Noon to 1 p.m.: Meet and greet with Reds alumni
-Tom Hume, Dmitri Young and others to be announced
- From 5:30 to 10 p.m.: Hall of Fame Induction Gala presented at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center with remarks by the inductees and appearances by other Reds Hall of Famers, as well as current players and coaches.
For full details and updated meet and greet schedules, please visit redsmuseum.org or call (513) 765-7923.