Headed down to the speedway? You'll notice a different traffic situation this year, one that will hopefully alleviate many of the backups that caused around 12,000 people to miss the inaugural Sprint Cup race in 2011.
9 News traffic reporter Adam Marshall details the exact routes of what to expect in the video player above(Mobile users go to a browser version of WCPO.com to see the video).
Here are some highlights of the new traffic plan at Ky. Speedway this year:
- 20,000 more parking spots have been added around the speedway.
- If you're headed from SB I-71, you'll get off at exit 57, KY 35. Attendants will direct you from that exit to a designated parking lot, depending on which lane you are in.
- If you're headed from NB I-71, you'll get off at exit 55. Attendants will also direct you to a specific parking lot depending on which lane you are in.
Some tips for those headed down to Sparta from the Kentucky State Police:
- Leave early to avoid delays close to race time, as they are possible even with the improved access and reduced congestion thanks to the new traffic plan.
- Be patient and do not participate in aggressive driving behaviors
- Thousands of race fans will travel on foot to the track from their parking spaces. Be mindful of pedestrians and use extra caution when near the speedway.
Here is a map of this year's parking layout (mobile and tablet users, go to a browser version of WCPO.com to see the image):
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.