CLEVELAND - With swipes from excavator's arm and a smattering of applause from spectators, the Cleveland house where three women were held captive and raped for a decade was reduced to rubble in less than 90 minutes Wednesday.
One of the women imprisoned there, Michelle Knight, showed up early Wednesday before the work began. She made a brief statement and released balloons into the air.
"Dear Lord, give the missing people strength and power to know that they are loved," said Knight, who had rosary beads hanging from her neck.
Knight said the array of balloons "represents all the millions of children that were never found and the ones that passed away that were never heard."
The house was torn down as part of the plea deal that spared Ariel Castro a possible death sentence and forced him to turn over the deed to the house and pay for it to be razed. He was sentenced last week to life in prison plus 1,000 years.
See photos of the rooms where they women were held at http://www.wcpo.com/gallery/news/news_photo_gallery/Inside-Ariel-Castros-home-on-Seymour-Avenue-in-Cleveland
There was applause as a relative of one victim represented the three and took the controls of the wrecking crane for the first smash into the top of the front wall. Later, as the house debris disappeared into the basement, church bells rang.
Katie Mae Brown, 62, a former resident of the street, said tearing down the house was important for the neighborhood to show "that monster — that he is behind bars and that he's never going to get out."
Cuyahoga County prosecutor Tim McGinty said the two houses to the left of Castro's would also be torn down and developed into a park or whatever the residents decide.
Prosecutors say Castro cried when he signed over the house deed and mentioned his "many happy memories" there with the women. They highlighted the teary-eyed scene to illustrate Castro's "distorted and twisted" personality.
On Wednesday, McGinty called him "one evil guy."
Family members, including his son, Anthony Castro, went to the house Monday and picked up personal items including old photographs, guitars and bicycles.
Relatives said the house razing was part of the healing process for them. "It's sad and hard but it is necessary for us to move on," Anthony Castro told WKYC-TV.
The three women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each had accepted a ride from Castro.
They escaped May 6, when Amanda Berry, now 27, broke part of a door and yelled to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested that evening.
Related story: Castro's home wiped off Google Earth: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/shared/Ariel-Castros-home-wiped-from-Google-Earth-before-demolition-on-Seymour-Avenue-began
At Castro's sentencing, prosecutors displayed photos that provided a first glimpse inside the rooms where the women lived.
Stuffed animals lined the bed and crayon drawings were taped to the wall where Berry lived with her young daughter, who was fathered by Castro. One of the drawings on a shelf said, "Happy Birthday."
The window was boarded shut and door knobs had been removed and replaced with multiple locks. Saucer-size holes in inside doors were meant for circulation.
Another room, shared by Knight and Gina DeJesus, had a portable toilet, a clock radio and several chains.
The house, which quickly became a drive-by attraction after the women fled to freedom, was fenced off and kept under 24-hour police guard amid arson threats.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
One of three women who escaped from a ramshackle Cleveland home after more than a decade in captivity is about to share her story.
As authorities launched two probes to try to determine how Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro managed to commit suicide while in prison, his…
Attorneys and prosecutors for a man accused of kidnapping three women, keeping them captive in his Cleveland home for nearly a decade and…
Amanda Berry was sighted on stage with rapper Nelly Saturday at Roverfest in Voinovich Park in downtown Cleveland, just one day after her…
An Ohio corrections official says the Cleveland man sentenced to life in prison for holding three women captive over a decade and raping them…
A Cleveland man came to Cincinnati Saturday to "walk the walk" in order to keep a promise he made to the three women who were allegedly held…
A man accused of holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hundreds of charges,…
The man accused of kidnapping three Cleveland women and holding them captive in his Seymour Avenue house for a decade was indicted on 329…
The man who famously put down his Big Mac to help rescue three women held captive for a decade in an Ohio house will never have to pay for…
His voice cracking, Cleveland Police Officer Anthony Espada is seen on the video fighting back tears, as he describes the moment he first saw…