ALEXANDRIA, Ky. – They are familiar sights for drivers on southbound I-471 near I-275 – orange barrels lining the right-hand lane.
The barrels are beat up; others missing. There appears to be no reason why months after work that widened the feeder ramp to westbound I-275 they are still there.
Nancy Wood, public information officer with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6, is familiar with the public asking, what’s up with the barrels?
Part of her response involves the weather.
“It was done last fall,” she said. “There needed to be some correction work there on the added lane. Construction season is just starting back up. I am not sure when they are going to schedule that. They are going to have to re-stripe that exit lane.”
The barrels only cause a minor headache, and delay, for evening commuters heading home from downtown compared to the “Revive the Drive” construction projects completed the past few summers.
The transportation department has no plans for major interstate projects this road work season like the rebuild of I-471 and I-275 that took place the past few years.
“There are a couple of ongoing projects in Boone County,” Woods said.
For those projects, drivers can expect weekend and overnight delays east and west along US 42. Lane closures, re-routing and intersection restrictions may be the norm through October.
Additional local projects include:
In Campbell County:
• KY 8 – Beginning on Tuesday, April 8, KY 8 will be closed daily to through traffic between KY 445 (River Road) and Tower Hill Road for a slide repair. The closure will begin at 8 AM and end at 4 PM. One lane will be open at all other times. The repairs are schedule to be completed by Friday afternoon, April 11.
• I-471 Daniel Carter Beard Bridge – During the week of April 7th through April 11th Monday through Friday, the I-471 Daniel Carter Beard Bridge will have single lane closures from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM for utility work. Motorists should be aware of lane closures, equipment and crews.
• KY 9 (AA Highway) at I-275 Interchange – Periodic lane closures will continue for both Northbound and Southbound KY 9 traffic during weekday overnight hours. Drivers should exercise caution and watch for flaggers, construction personnel and vehicles entering and leaving the work zones. The speed limit throughout the work-zone on KY 9 will be reduced 35 MPH.
In Kenton County:
• KY 8 (4th Street) @ I-75 Interchange – Construction work will begin on 4th Street in Covington. The work will be focused between Philadelphia Street and the Ramp to Southbound I-75. Periodic lane closures will be in place along 4th St. between the hours of 9 AM and 3 PM. Closures between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. may also occur. Drivers should exercise caution and watch for flaggers, construction personnel and vehicles entering and leaving the work zones.
• Taylor Mill Road – Middle Section - KY 16 (From Sunbrite to Blackstone) – Traffic has been switched onto new pavement from Sunbrite Drive to new road Pride Parkway. Old Taylor Mill Road in now open to through traffic. Northbound KY 16 turns into Old Taylor Mill Road (Pride Parkway) at Heathermoor Blvd. Construction continues with the build out of the new road through 2015.