Sheriff: Carbon monoxide leak kills Gallatin County couple having sex in car

GLENCOE, Ky. -- A man and woman died while having sex in a parked car last week, Gallatin County Sheriff Josh Neale told WCPO.

Violet Iles, 25, and David Long, 32, were overcome by carbon monoxide leaking into the car through a rusty exhaust pipe, Neale said. Their bodies were found near a Glencoe, Kentucky home Wednesday, May 13.

The two were in the car for about 90 minutes. Iles and Long kept the car on to run the heat because it was 40 degrees that night, according to Neale.

A rusty exhaust pipe caused carbon monoxide to leak into this car.

Police are still waiting on the results of toxicology reports to see if alcohol or drugs were in their system.

Long was a lifelong resident of Gallatin County.

Long’s brother, Kevin, discovered the bodies at about 6:40 a.m. near his mobile home on Lothridge Lane. He said he spotted them while walking his children to their school bus.

"I pulled him out and I tried to do CPR on him, and the paramedics tried to talk me through it over the phone," Kevin Long said.

Neale said anyone spending an extended period of time in a car should turn off the engine or roll down the windows. Kevin Long said he hoped his brother's story would stop anyone else from making the same mistake.

Neale told WCPO on Friday the two were having sex.

The Gallatin County Sheriff's Department stated on its Facebook page Monday evening WCPO's reporting was incorrect and "the couple was sleeping, not what was released." WCPO is reporting what Neale told our news gathering team Friday. No correction has been issued by the sheriff's department.

The department has not yet released a report on the incident. Officials are awaiting the results of a toxicology report.

Print this article Back to Top

Must See Video