- Mostly clear
HAMILTON, Ohio - A boil water advisory has been issued in parts of the city of Hamilton.
A booster station malfunction Friday caused a partial depressurization of the city's water distribution system. The city says when water pressure drops below 20 psi, bacterial contamination of the drinking water may be possible.
The city of Hamilton issued the advisory for all customers located in the Governor Hill, Waterside, Arbor Springs, and Random Hills subdivisions, in addition to Meijer and Walmart retail areas.
The city advises customers in the impacted areas to take the following precautions to ensure the purity of their water: (including water used for drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, making ice & drinks, washing food, and even water for pets).
• During this advisory, those customers affected may assure purity of their water by:
1. Boiling water vigorously for at least one full minute (after water begins to bubble). Boiling kills harmful bacteria that may be in the water that can cause illness.
2. Utilize bottled water.
• Throw away any ice made during a boil advisory - freezing does not kill bacteria.
• After advisory - flush house pipes, ice makers, hot water heaters, water softeners, garden hoses and change filters before using water for drinking and cooking.
• Adults and teens can use water for bathing, but be careful not to swallow water.
• Young children should be given a sponge bath since they often swallow water.
• Wash clothes as you normally do.
• You can use your dishwasher as long as there is a high temperature cycle.
The advisory will remain in effect until further notice. Two consecutive clear sets of water samples must be obtained before the boiling advisory can be lifted.
The city says the advisory is a precautionary measure and that the likelihood of contamination occurring is minimal. For more information, call 513-785-7550.
Stay with 9 On Your Side and WCPO.com for when the all clear is given on this advisory.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.