Officials: Child starts Saturday night Hamilton house fire

a a a a
Share this story

Hamilton firefighters extinguished a blaze they say was started by a 9-year-old Saturday night.

The Hamilton Fire Department reports crews responded to a fire at  226 Walnut Street on Hamilton's east side at 8:43 p.m. Once on the scene crews could see smoke and flames coming fro the two-story, wood framed structure.

Firefighters safely evacuated all occupants from the building before extinguishing the flames.

The fire originated in a back bedroom located on the second floor of the residence, where fire crews determined a 9-year-old who was left unattended with a lighter began the blaze.

The department reports that the child will be referred to the Hamilton Fire Department's Juvenile Fire Setter Program.

Units were on the scene for two hours. Approximately $15,000 worth of damage was done to the home, and an additional $7,500 in content was damaged in the blaze.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance for housing and clothing for the two adults and four children displaced because of the fire.
 

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Print this article

Comments

Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!