CINCINNATI - “I have a moustache, therefore I am.” – Anonymous
The leaves are changing color, the days are shorter, the air is colder and the beards are in full bloom. Wait, what? If you haven’t noticed a rapid growth in men’s facial hair around the office or classroom, take another look around you. It’s Movember, after all!
You may have heard of “No Shave November,” but did you know there’s actually a huge movement behind it? Movember is an official global charity born in Melbourne, Australia in 2003, that raises awareness for and funds to combat men’s health issues such as prostate and testicular cancer, as well as various mental health challenges.
Men are encouraged to grow moustaches for the month of November and ask friends and family to donate to their facial enhancement efforts.
We’ve compiled a list of 9 facts – both true and, well, subjective – about the moustaches and the movement:
1. It’s not just for the bros: Women, or Mo Sistas, are encouraged to raise money for Movember too. According to the Movember website, “Mo Sistas do everything that Mo Bros do, without a Mo (slang for mustache).”
2. In 2012, more than 1.1 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas around the world participated in Movember, raising $147 million.
3. The Trucker? The Connoisseur? The Rock Star? Movember organizers don’t want to you to rock a boring old ‘stache, so they’ve created a style guide that let’s you select and maintain a rockin’ style.
4. No cheating. You have to start the month totally clean shaven and see what kind of facial concoction you can grow in 30 days. Can’t grow a moustache? You can still donate and raise money for men’s health!
5. Comedian and actor Nick Offerman was voted number one on the list of the 17 Most Inspiring Hollywood Moustaches of 2013 (So Far). This fact is not up for debate.
6. According to Reader’s Digest, the average man with a Mo touches it approximately 760 times a day.
7. Moustache hair grows faster than any other body hair, with peak seasons being spring and summer.
8. Most people like moustaches. A 2008 poll by the British newspaper The Guardian found 61 percent of respondents believes mustaches were “gentlemanly and sophisticated,” while only 39 percent believed mustaches are worn by “fools and fiends.”
9. According to Movember’s website, in 2012 Movember was “ranked in the top 100 best NGOs (charities) in world by Global Journal, based on three key main criteria: impact, innovation and sustainability. To put that in context, there are an estimated 5 million NGOs around the world.”
It’s not too late to join in, ladies and gents! Visit http://us.movember.com to register and start raising money for a good cause!
BONUS: If you can’t get enough of Movember, check out Nick Offerman’s exploration through time, with his “Greatest Moments in Moustache History” video.
Facial hair on men: yay or nay? Ladies, sound of by chatting with me on Twitter, @jennyfromthebak. Spoiler alert: I’m definitely voting “yay.”
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Sick of a certain Friday evening meal? Seeing tropical greenery around time? All good things must come to an end--even Lent. Here are the signs.
It's that time of the year when allergies are back for many Tri-Staters We asked our 9 On Your Side Facebook fans to share some pointers…
A Cincinnati Reds player is next in the lineup. As he makes his way to home plate, a burst of music from the speakers resonates throughout…
The 2014 Opening Day Parade is in the history books. Now watch this video and get pumped to cheer the Reds to victory!
As fans of 16 other college hoops teams get fired up for the NCAA Sweet 16, basketball fever is cooling down at UC. But you wouldn't…
It's officially spring, so you know what that means.
In honor of Twitter's eighth anniversary, we’ve decided to pull together the first Tweets of some of the Tri-State’s biggest…
“Well I was on my way to Skyline and it felt like the right time…”
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? We figured as much. We asked 9 On Your Side Facebook fans to take a look at some of our favorite…
Not everyone gets the joke, but Twitter can be a great way to inject a little humor into your day. And there's plenty to laugh about in…