The structure in which the Taft Museum of Art now resides was built in 1820 and is the oldest local wooden structure in situ. The house was built by the city's first millionaire, Martin Baum, and is a Federalist design in Palladian style.
In 2001 major renovations began at the Taft Museum of Art during which restorers discovered a faux grain wood trim. The wood was treated and walls paint to colors historians believed the room once looked.
The Music Room is where Anna and Charles Taft did the majority of their entertaining and even wedded inside this room in 1873. This room contains portraits of Anna and her father, as well as an original Rembrandt painting.
Anna Sinton Taft and her husband Charles Phelps Taft collected more than 600 pieces of art which were donated to the City of Cincinnati upon their deaths in the late 1920s. Their home was turned into a museum by 1932.
These two rooms were the separate parlors used for men and women which were characteristic of the late 1800s. The parlors are now used for exhibits at the Taft Museum of Art.
Nicholas Longworth, who occupied the home from 1829 until 1863, commissioned African-American artist Robert S. Duncanson to paint murals of landscapes on the walls. Wallpaper covered the murals for decades which helped preserved the art.