The Cincinnati Observatory, originally built in Mount Adams in 1842, was the first observatory in the United States. In 1873, the observatory relocated to a new building designed by Samuel Hannaford in Mount Lookout.
This is a look inside the Mitchel building, which was named after the Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel, the founder and first director of the observatory. The Mount Lookout building is the second home to the historic Merz and Mahler Telescope.
The 12-foot Merz and Mahler telescope at the Cincinnati Observatory was purchased from Europe in the 1840s for $7,500, which was the world's second largest telescope at the time.
A sundial, located outside the Cincinnati Observatory Center, serves as a memorial for Paul Nohr, a long-time astronomer and former University of Cincinnati professor who passed away in 2006. The sundial is used as teaching tool for visitors.
The Merz and Mahler telescope was eventually moved to the Mitchel building at the Mount Lookout observatory in 1904 where it resides today.
The Alvan Clark & Sons Telescope is housed inside the Herget Building, which was built next door to the Mount Lookout observatory in 1904. The Clarks were premiere refractor telescope makers in the world at the time.
This is a look inside the Alvan Clark & Sons Telescope, which now resides in the observatory's Herget Building at the observatory. The 16-foot telescope can visually split double stars to its theoretical limit.