The home of Cincinnati resident William Betts, a brickmaker originally from New Jersey, remains the oldest residential building downtown and the oldest house in the state. It was built in 1804 and is located in the city's West End.
After years of restoration, the historic Betts House opened to the public as a museum in 1996. The house is owned by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America.
This original fireplace inside the Betts House was damaged by the New Madrid earthquakes that struck the Ohio Valley in 1811. The Betts House was built in 1804 by William Betts, a brickmaker who settled with his family in Cincinnati.
The Betts House is Cincinnati's oldest building on its original site and the oldest brick home in the state of Ohio. Built by William Betts in 1804, four generations of Betts, including two dozen children, lived inside the home over the years.
The Betts House was orginally built on 111 acres of land in the city's West End in 1804. Since the structure was built before a grid was used to map out the city of Cincinnati, the house appears crooked when compared to the building nextdoor.
By 1855 nearly every lot on the Betts property was developed into what is now known as the West End. The population grew to nearly 30,000 residents per square mile, but saw a major decline starting in the 1870s. Photo of the Betts House in the 1870s.
A look inside The Betts House in 1989 before renovations were done to the oldest brick residential structure in Cincinnati. The building was acquired by the city in 1980s and turned into a museum in 1996. Photo provided by The Betts House Museum.
A photo of the Betts House in the early 1980s before renovations were started. The building remained vacant for years before it was purchased by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in 1988.
This front view of the historic Betts House on Clark Street in Cincinnati's West End shows the original brick used by original owner William Betts, a brickmaker from New Jersey, in 1804.
Downtown Cincinnati's oldest buidling, The Betts House, was built on 111 acres of land in what's now called the city's West End. This view of the backyard is what remains from William Betts' original plot of land.