The picturesque town of Newtown, Conn. was rocked by an unimaginable crime at Sandy Hook Elementary Friday morning that resulted in the death of at least 27 people, including 20 children.
Parents, children, teachers and even President Barack Obama were brought to tears when forced to confront the realization that another seemingly senseless violent crime had done its best to torment the country's collective heart this holiday season.
While the country is still attempting to cope with the tragic events that unfolded Friday, several groups have come forward to initiate the healing process. Multiple organizations have started online campaigns to raise funds and support for the victims of the nightmare in Newtown.
The following list was created by Mashable.com .
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Fund : Chris DeLetto of Champaign, Ill., started this fundraiser on Crowdtilt, hoping to raise $50,000 in 30 days.
- Help for the Sandy Hook Elementary School Families : Razoo's campaign started by Joe Waters is raising money for the Sandy Hook Parent Teachers Association.
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Victims Relief Fund : This Crowdrise campaign, started by Ryan, is raising money for the school's PTSA organization.
- Secure Schools : Becky Hoover launched this campaign to get security systems in place in all U.S. schools, including pass-key systems with cameras.
- Wall of Love : This interactive website, designed following the tragic shooting, wants to show everyone affected by the tragedy that there is more love than hate in the world.
Other national charities, such as the American Red Cross and the United Way , can also provide insights into how to donate your time and efforts to those who've been affected by the tragic happenings in Newtown.
In partnership with the Newtown Savings Bank, the United Way has established the "Sandy Hook School Support Fund " to benefit the families affected by the tragic events in Newtown, Conn. More information about the charity can be found on the organization's website.
Sadly, with every moment of crisis comes those who look to take advantage of the situation. In order to safeguard yourself, you can review any charity to which you're thinking about donating funds by visiting the "Charity Review " section of Better Business Bureau website.
If you're participating in an event to pay tribute to the victims of the Newtown shooting, please mention it in the comment section of this story or send an email to the email@example.com .
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.