LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas -- A young Arkansas girl is in critical condition after suffering from a rare parasite.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 12-year-old Kali Hardig suffers has a rare but deadly brain-eating parasite.
A water park is the most likely source of her infection.
Another case of the same parasite was linked to that water park back in 2010.
The microscopic amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain.
It's usually found in people who have been swimming in warm freshwater.
But, the CDC says you can not be infected by drinking contaminated water.
Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, and a stiff neck within one to seven days of infection.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.