BOSTON, MA - APRIL 16: Claire Schaeffer Dufy walks with a sign she made to support her runner husband, Scott, near the scene of a twin bombing at the Boston Marathon
Hide Caption

5-year-old among Boston Medical blast patients

a a a a
Share this story

BOSTON - The trauma surgery chief at Boston Medical Center says a 5-year-old is among the 19 patients still being treated there for injuries received during the marathon bombings and that all are expected to survive.

Dr. Peter Burke said Wednesday morning that the hospital treated 23 people following the blasts. He said two patients, including the 5-year-old, remain critical, but that all patients are making progress.

"We have a lot of lower extremity injuries, so I think the damage was low to the ground and wasn't up," he said. "The patients who do have head injuries were blown into things or were hit by fragments that went up."

Dozens of patients have been released from hospitals around the Boston area.

Massachusetts General Hospital spokeswoman Katie Marquedant said all but 11 of the 31 people sent there have been released. Four are still in critical condition.

Brigham and Women's Hospital still has 12 of its original 35 patients, and reported that four are in critical condition.  A spokesman there could not say how many patients had been released and how many had been transferred to other facilities.

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center still has 13 of the 24 people originally sent there. Boston Children's Hospital has released seven of its original 10 patient. The three remaining are all children.  A 2-year-old boy with a head injury is in good condition; a 10-year-old boy with multiple leg injuries is in critical condition and a 9-year-old girl with a leg injury also is in critical condition.

Tufts Medical Center has released half of its 14 bombing patients.

There were 27 patients who were treated and released from St. Elizabeth's, Carney Hospital, and Norwood Hospital.

Copyright Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Print this article

Comments

Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!

More On Boston Tragedy
Little government response a year later
Little government response a year later

A year after homemade bombs ripped through the Boston Marathon, state and federal officials have enacted virtually no policy changes in…

Boston bomb suspect pleads not guilty
Boston bomb suspect pleads not guilty

His arm in a cast, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges Wednesday in his first courtroom…

Alleged Boston bomber due in court
Alleged Boston bomber due in court

Survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing will watch as the young man who could face the death penalty for the attack appears in court for the…

Boston bombing suspect indicted
Boston bombing suspect indicted

A federal grand jury has returned a 30-count indictment against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Boston bombing suspect is walking
Boston bombing suspect is walking

The remaining suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has recovered enough to walk and assured his parents in a phone conversation that he…

Man FBI shot spoke with bombing suspect
Man FBI shot spoke with bombing suspect

A Chechen immigrant shot to death in central Florida after an altercation with an FBI agent had several ties to that of one of the Boston…

Boston Marathon bomb suspect buried
Boston Marathon bomb suspect buried

The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was entombed in an unknown gravesite Thursday after police said an anonymous…

Boston runner asks for chance to finish
Boston runner asks for chance to finish

Runners who couldn't complete this year's Boston Marathon because of the bombings at the finish line have created an online petition asking…

Boston wasn't told of Tsarnaev warning
Boston wasn't told of Tsarnaev warning

FBI agents did not tell Boston police they had receiving warnings from Russia's government in 2011 about suspected bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev…