MASON, Ohio -- Students at an intermediate school in the Kings Local School District will be able to return to their classrooms by midday Thursday after they were evacuated earlier in the day due to a gas leak.
The leak at Columbia Intermediate School (CIS) was first reported about 9 a.m. when a school custodian said they smelled gas. The custodian immediately called Duke Energy, which sent crews to the scene to investigate, according to a statement released by Dawn Gould, community relations coordinator for the district
All fifth- and sixth-grade students were taken by bus to Kings Junior High School (KJHS) while crews investigated the problem.
At 10:10 a.m. Gould released a follow-up statement saying Duke Energy crews had managed to repair the leak and the local fire department had given the OK for students to return to the building. Students will eat lunch at KJHS and will be transported back to CIS by noon, according to Gould's note.
The school district originally believed the students needed to complete the day at KJHS due to the matter.