Man in U.S. illegally charged with hit-and-run killing of Cold Spring man, flees country

COLD SPRING, Ky. – A South Korean national in the United States illegally is suspected of hitting and killing a Cold Spring man along Alexandria Pike in October.

“In my 37 years with Kenton and Campbell police departments, I’ve never experienced anything like this,” said Col. Ed Burke with the Cold Spring Police Department.

An arrest warrant for Vanna Nay was issued by Campbell County courts on one charge of reckless homicide and leaving the scene of an accident related to the death of Lenny James Shay, 37, on Oct. 8.

Shay was killed after a gray 2003 Toyota Camry driven by Nay struck him while he was trying to cross Alexandria Pike near his home at Rocky View Apartments on Harvest Trail, according to police. Shay was survived by his wife Kim and son Dylan.

Just outside Kim's door is a reminder that her husband of six years is never coming home - a huge white cross made by a neighbor. 

When she got Monday's news on the accident that took Lenny's life, she remembered the pain. 

"I can't even put in words how I feel," She said. "I feel I have the weight of myself and my son, and you know, knowing that he fled like that told me a lot, told me he's a coward."

Witnesses of the tragedy said they saw the suspect not only tear away from the scene, but he also ran over the victim a second time in his rush to get away.

After a lengthy investigation, Cold Spring police realized not only had Nay left the scene of the incident, but he also fled the country. With the help of Fairfield, Ohio police and federal agencies it was revealed Nay, who worked in Fairfield, was in the process of a formal expulsion for being in the United States illegally.

Agents with Homeland Security Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) confirmed Nay left the U.S. from Atlanta heading for South Korea on Oct. 9.

It could no longer be confirmed Nay was in South Korea, Burke said.

“The issue is whether or not he will end up somewhere with an extradition treaty,” he said.

Burke said his department received a tip on Oct. 16 from a person calling to report Nay, who drove a Camry, had not shown up to work since the incident.

From that tip, a search warrant of Nay’s last known address in Fairfield was obtained, and the car was transported to Highland Heights on Oct. 20, where it was inspected.

A $1 million bond has been set for Nay in the event of his capture.

"My next prayer is that he's caught," Kim said.

Print this article Back to Top