MILFORD, Ohio -- The Promont— once home to Ohio's 43rd Governor John M. Pattison—is a historic Victorian mansion located in the heart of Milford.
This regal home, which took nearly three years to build from 1865 to 1867, sits on a wooded lot off city's busy Main Street. While the land around the home has been developed into several businesses over the years, Promont remains a historic hub.
Seven people owned the mansion from 1867 through 1983. When the last owner, James Kirgan, died, he donated the property to the Greater Milford Area Historical Society. Since then historians have worked to preserve the house and restore it to its original decor.
Check out below for photos and facts about this historic house.
William Mergue, who made money as a civilian merchant to the army induction center at Camp Dennison during the Civil War, built the mansion. The mansion features Victorian and Italianate architecture, both popular at the time. The home was sold to Colonel John Armstrong Wade, a son of a prominent business man. He named the property Beechwood. In 1879, John M. Pattison, who went on to be Ohio's 43rd governor, purchased the home and named it Promont, which means high on the hill.
In 1983, Promont's last owner, James Kirgan, donated the historic structure to the Greater Milford Area Historical Society. This room on the first floor was believed to have been used as a dining room, which was the most important room of a home in the Victorian age and where guests were generally entertained.
Maintaining A Legacy
This couch is one of the few remaining original pieces left at Promont. Over the years historians have restored the home using either replicas or pieces from the same time period to furnish the home. They have received several donations from descendants of those who had lived in the home at one time.
Ohio Governor John M. Pattison had a son and two daughters. This dress belonged to one of the the daughters. Often when a wealthy family wanted a new wardrobe, a seamstress would come to live with a family for months at a time until the clothes were finished.
Piece of Pattison History
This desk belonged to John M. Pattison's son, John W. Pattison, who went on to be one of the first people in the United States to get his pilot's license. He flew with the Polish Air Force during World War I because he was not able to fly for the U.S. Pattison also pursued photography and captured photos of family members that historians still use today.
This room was used by the mansion's last owner, James Kirgan, as a family room during the 1960s. It is now used as a gift shop.
If You Go
Hours: Friday – Sunday, 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. and by appointment for groups of 10 or more.
Admission: A donation of $5.00 for adults and $1.00 for children under 12 years old is requested. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, most national holidays and in extreme weather.
Phone: (513) 248-0324
Address: 906 Main Street, Milford Ohio 45150