- Mostly clear
Careers in Media (CIM) is an internship program designed to provide hands-on experience to minority high school students with an interest in the media industry.
Its purpose is to:
- Develop a talented pool of qualified minority individuals from which the local media industry may recruit.
- Promote various careers in the media industry.
- Provide leadership development and soft skills training to participants.
- Give minority high school students an opportunity to learn from experienced industry professionals.
This unpaid internship begins the summer after a student's high school junior year. Students participate for one summer, interning for 15 hours per week for a minimum of four weeks at one media site.
Possible internship sites include commercial television, cable television, government access television, radio, newspaper journalism, website development, public relations and graphic design.
Interns must also complete a summer project that gives them an opportunity to delve deeper into various aspects of media.
Past summer projects have included:
- Writing a paper on "Stereotypes in Media" and monitoring local news stations for use of stereotypes in language and/or video.
- Getting active in a local cause or organization and writing a letter to the editor of a local or regional newspaper. (Extra credit if the letter is published.)
- Volunteering to write or produce a PSA for a nonprofit organization's event or campaign.
- Producing a mini-documentary on a centenarian living in Cincinnati.
C AREERS I N M EDIA – Minority High School Internship Program Application
Applicants must also include a letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor or other non-relative. An official transcript or recent report card is also required. Application deadline is March 31.
1. Legal Name: _____________________________________________________________________
Last First Middle Initial
2. Gender (circle one): Male Female 3. Date of Birth: _____/_____/_____
4. Ethnicity: African-American/Black Hispanic/Latino(a) Native American
Asian American Other__________________________
5. Citizenship Status: U.S. Citizen Permanent Resident F1 Visa # ______________
6. Permanent/Home Address:__________________________________________________________
Street # Street Name Apt. #
City State Zip County
7. Phone (_____) ______-__________ Cell (_____) ______-__________ 8. E-Mail _____________________
Applicants Must Complete Their Junior Year of High School Or Equivalent Before July 1.
9. Career Interest/Major: _________________________________ Interest /Skills in Spanish: ________
- High School Name: ___________________________________ High School GPA: ___________
High School Address: ______________________________________________ Zip: _____________
Principal Name: ______________________________________ Phone: _______________________
- Community Service Activities (please list): _____________________________________________
12. Careers In Media Interest Ares: Rank in order of preference (1-5) your interest in media.
___ Television ___ Social Media ___ Newspaper ___ PR/Advertising ___ Website ___Other ___________
Are you available to attend a workshop at Ohio University June 20-22, 2013? ___ Yes ___No
13. Why do you want to explore the media field? (Please attach an essay, typed on 8 ½ " x 11" paper, 1 inch margins and no more than 500 words.)
Parent or Guardian Name: ______________________________ Work Phone: _______________
Signature of Parent or Guardian: _____________________________________ Date__________
Signature indicates that you give permission for the applicant to participate in the Careers in Media program.
Signature of Applicant: ______________________________________________
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE CHECK FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Letter of Recommendation
- Transcript/Report Card
- Completed Application
- Applicant Signature
- Parent Signature
MAIL COMPLETED APPLICATION AND SUPPLEMENTARY DOCUMENTS TO:
1720 Gilbert Ave.
Cincinnati , OH 45202
Application deadline is March 31.
If you have any questions, please contact:
If you have any questions, please contact:
~or go to~
Search: Careers in Media
Copyright Copyright 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.