CINCINNATI - Many businesses will be offering freebies and other special deals on Nov. 11-12 to commemorate Veterans Day, as a way of showing appreciation to the men and women who have served their nation.
In most cases, the deals are available for both veterans and active-duty military personnel.
This year, Veterans Day falls on a Sunday, so the federal holiday will be marked on Monday. Various national and local restaurants are involved in the Veterans Day efforts.
"To honor our nation's veterans, restaurants are offering free meals to thank military members for their service and sacrifice," said Matthew Cheng, creator of eCoupons.com and VeteransDayFreebies.com said
Some of the Veterans Day freebies this year include:
* California Pizza Kitchen: Free pizza and drink on Nov. 11-12.
* Champps Americana: Free cheeseburger and fries on Nov. 12.
* Friendly's: Free breakfast and coffee on Nov. 12.
* Golden Corral: Free dinner between 4-9 p.m. on Nov. 12.
* Hooters: 10 free boneless wings with the purchase of a drink on Nov. 12.
* Ikea: Eat for free Nov. 10-12 with purchase over $100.
* On the Border: Free entree certificate valid up to $10, any day of the week, Nov. 12-30 (15 percent of the purchase will be donated to Carry the Load.)
* Outback Steakhouse: Free Bloomin' Onion appetizer and drink on Nov. 11-12.
* Sizzler: Free lunch on Nov. 12. (Choose from 6 oz. steak, Malibu Chicken or a half-dozen fried shrimp.)
* Uno Chicago Grill: Free entree or individual pizza with an entree or pizza of equal or greater value on Nov. 11-12.
Printable coupons for these offers can be found at www.VeteransDayFreebies.com
More Veterans Day sales and deals can be found at www.eCoupons.com
U.S. President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed Armistice Day for Nov. 11, 1919. Congress amended this act in June 1954, replacing "Armistice" with "Veterans," and it has been known as Veterans Day since.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.