1 dead, 1 injured after Green Twp. shooting

GREEN TWP, Ohio - One man is dead and another is in the hospital after what police call a "domestic dispute" broke out at a Green Township condominium complex Sunday morning.

Police said David Franks, 45, shot and killed his elderly father-in-law around 3:30 a.m. James Schobert, 76, died from his gunshot injuries before the Green Township Life Squad arrived on the scene.

The call came in for a domestic violence dispute. Green Township police responded to Arbor Woods Condominiums off of Harrison Avenue near Rave Cinemas.

"We responded to a 911 call, shots fired. Our officers responded on the scene heard shots fired, called for back up. Two additional officers responded," said Chief Deputy Sean Donovan, with the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

"We believe it to be domestic violence, a domestic dispute that's been going on for a period of time," said Donovan.

Franks was charged Friday with domestic violence for allegedly choking his wife, Sherry Franks, last week. She was one of many at Arbor Woods that had called 911 Sunday morning. She called from her parents' condo to report yelling and pounding outside their condo. On the 911 call, she said that she believed it was her estranged husband, David Franks.

"I'm at my mom's house and my husband, I have a restraining order against him and I think he may be over here... I hear banging on their condo door," said Sherry during a 911 call to police. On that call, she also told police that he is bipolar disorder and does not take his medication.

Officers moved around to the back of the condominiums where they observed a sliding glass door blown out, an assault rifle lying on the porch and the suspect in the doorway.

He was armed with a handgun, which he was pointing at police. That's when the officers opened fire and shot the suspect three times.

David was then secured into custody, and officers proceeded into the residence.

Inside they found one victim, Schobert, who was suffering from his gunshot wound. He succumbed to that injury before paramedics made it to the condo. Police also found Sherry and her daughter inside, unharmed, hiding in the bathroom.

David was transported to University Hospital for treatment and is listed in stable condition.

The complex was on lockdown for several hours. Residents were not allowed to enter or leave without a police escort. Neighbors said that nothing like this has ever happened before at the complex. It opened up around noon.

David is charged with aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and three counts of attempted murder of a police officer. He was issued a $3 million bond Tuesday without him in court due to his continued recovery in the hospital.

No officers were injured during the incident. The case remains under investigation.

Print this article Back to Top