CINCINNATI - Wednesday marks two years since the shooting death of 18-year-old Dion Thomas in Over-the-Rhine.
The victim's father, Weldon Thomas, plans to hold a vigil as a way to remember his son and pray that the person who killed him is found.
"I live downtown and I pass this park every day. It's very difficult for me," he said. "With my son being gone, it's like 'Fifty First Dates.' I have to remind myself every morning that he's gone."
Thomas was fatally shot in the chest at a park bench at the Grant Playground off Back Street on June 26, 2011. The case still remains unsolved.
"I'm just waiting on that phone call that says we got him," said Weldon.
Weldon continues to do what he can to try to find answers in his son's death until a suspect is caught. He's placed posters in the park where his son was killed, offering a $3,000 reward leading to an arrest.
Weldon says he's also keeping in touch with detectives.
"The more support you have in life, it boosts you up and gives you a better feeling. it gives you more faith," he said.
Cincinnati crime statistics show that 2013 has been a deadlier year than 2012 so far with 36 homicides in nearly six months. The most recent occurred Tuesday in South Fairmount where a 34-year-old man was shot to death in his car just feet from his front door.
Weldon told 9 On Your Side he feels like the crime rate would drop if people weren't afraid to have each other's back.
"People call it snitching until they get in the boat that i am. then they realize it's not snitching, maybe we need to get some closure to their family."
"With my kids, it's like a puzzle and they took a piece of the puzzle that can never be reconnected," he added.
The vigil for Thomas will be held Wednesday at Grant Park at 4 p.m.
Anyone with information about Thomas' murder is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (513) 352-3040.