Like what you see? Join Insider on Nov. 30 for our best deal on an annual membership ever: $19.99 and we give you a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card (while supplies last).
WCPO Insider is a membership bringing you closer to the city you love. As an Insider you receive rewards, stories and access to new experiences across your community.
He ran inside the burning home to help them get out
A teenager is credited with helping a family escape a home in East Price Hill after it caught fire Monday night.
There's more to the story when you become an Insider. WCPO Insider's membership is an additional benefit on top of everything you can get for free on WCPO.com. We created an entire digital organization dedicated to bringing you exclusive access to in-depth stories that you can’t get anywhere else, handpicked events, and incredible savings on things you love to do. To find out more click here.
(Photo: Jeremy Glover, WCPO)
CINCINNATI -- A brave teenager is credited with helping a family escape a home in East Price Hill after it caught fire Monday night, but said he's no hero.
Crews arrived to the home in the 1600 block of Dorothy Lane shortly before 10 p.m., and began a defensive attack. No one was hurt in the fire, but one adult and four children were displaced. Their 16-year-old neighbor helped them out through the back door.
Rhameko Giles ran inside the home after hearing screams from inside.
"All I heard was the kids saying 'our house on fire, our house on fire!'," Giles said.
The teen reacted so quickly that he wore only one shoe when he came to the rescue.
"It was crazy," Giles said. "All my thoughts was going everywhere, so I was trying to multitask and do whatever I can."
He told WCPO reporter Bryce Anslinger that he scrambled, and made sure to help the kids get out, their mother get out, and some of their important belongings out of the fire's reach. He found a small fire extinguisher, but when he tried to use it, Giles found it didn't work.
"I was trying to work the fire extinguisher more, but it wasn't working still, so it pretty much wasn't anything else we could do, and we was just watching," Giles said.
The fire started from burning incense left unattended on a couch, firefighters determined.
The damage estimate was $30,000, and included structural charring, blown out windows, clothing and possessions. But luckily, the fire did not harm to the family, thanks to their quick-thinking neighbor.
"It was spur of the moment, I did what I could to help," Giles said. "I'm at peace with myself."
The house next to the home that caught fire did not appear to be damaged.
WCPO's Jeremy Glover, Mario Ramirez spoke to crews on scene.