Photo Video
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption
Work resumes at Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Dave Marlo
Hide Caption

Workers happy to return casino after floor collapse

Safety meeting as work resumes on casino

a a a a
Share this story
Show Related Headlines
Related Articles
Construction resumes at Horseshoe Casino
Bus driver cited for hitting 9 News van
When will casino construction resume?
City leaders dissect casino collapse
Latest on injured at casino collapse
FULL casino collapse coverage

CINCINNATI - Workers at the construction site of Cincinnati's new casino returned to the job Wednesday for the first time since last week's collapse. They returned with new safety plans in place.

"We all went through safety orientation and now we're just assessing the job site and everything making sure that everything is safe and seeing what areas we can work in and what areas we can't work in," said construction worker George Cholkas.

The morning meeting included a safety reorientation including information of where they could and could not walk on the site.

The electricians, pipe fitters, plumbers, and other trade workers started the day at 7:30 a.m.

OSHA is still investigating what caused the floor to collapse and injure 13 workers.

One worker remains in the hospital.

Messer Construction says the site of the accident is still off-limits as OSHA's investigation continues into the search for a cause of the collapse last Friday.

Messer's president did meet with casino regulators to give them a briefing as well in Columbus Wednesday morning.

He told them inspectors walked through the site and found all other areas passed safety checks and specifically that no bolts were missing from any beams outside the area of the accident.

In the meantime, some workers said they were glad to get back on the job, but were anxious about returning.

"Because of this accident, even though we don't work for the same companies we're all one team working together, so when somebody gets hurt everyone takes attention to that," said construction worker Sam Allen.

"A lot of guys are excited to get back to work because they were laid off already for a little while and they just started back a month or so ago, so this was kind of stopping them. They are excited about getting back," said construction crew member George Cholkas.

Workers will continue to work only the areas outside of the restricted zone of the scene of the accident until OSHA gives the all clear.
 

Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Print this article

Comments

Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!